social network software

UrbanMermaid

I have been toying with the idea of starting a socail networking site or classified add site but it is something I want to eventually (or maybe at launch) bundle with other services in a larger website. I don't have design or development experience yet. Are there drawbacks to using premade software like "social go" or "marketgrabber" in the long run? Is all the information still private? What kinds of technologies are involved? Any reason to definitely hire a programmer to design? Is it possible to build pieces of a site like that and then just keep adding stuff on, or is it better if the whole project is laid out and every part of it planned ahead of time? I'm new at this, is a forum the wrong place to ask these kinds of questions? Can someone point me in the right directions, I have already googled it to death.

No one has answered this question yet, so I'll give it a shot...

I don't have design or development experience yet.

That's a key detail. I would probably suggest putting aside your networking/classified ad site for now, and working on some basic web knowledge -- HTML, CSS, PHP and MySQL. Don't spend a huge amount of time planning out a possible project if you don't have the skills to follow through.

Are there drawbacks to using premade software like "social go" or "marketgrabber" in the long run?

The upside is that they are quick to get set up initially. However, there's no guarantee in regards to how well they are coded or how easy they will be to edit or add on functionality in the future.

I'd say that you should try to avoid reinventing the wheel if possible.

Is all the information still private? What kinds of technologies are involved?

If the software is built right, the information stored within the system should be private. It depends on the quality of the software though. The technologies involved depend on the project, but you'd probably be using HTML/CSS for the basic site, and PHP and MySQL for logic/database access.

Is it possible to build pieces of a site like that and then just keep adding stuff on, or is it better if the whole project is laid out and every part of it planned ahead of time?

Either way will work, but I'd definitely do some broad planning initially to save yourself some time. You don't need to plan out every little minor detail -- I think that might slow down the project and prevent you from working on it -- but at least consider the big picture. I'm working on a project at the moment where I add in functionality one piece at a time. It works, but if I had thought ahead on certain pieces of functionality, I would be writing cleaner, more efficient code, or saving myself some time refactoring existing code.