Something I've been working on...

falkencreative

Hey all.

In case anyone is interested, I've been working on a site redesign (just in the mockup stages at the moment -- not a working website just yet) that I'd love to get some feedback on.

It's for a high school drama department. I designed/coded their website four or five years ago -- it was one of my first "professional" websites back when I first started -- and the current website badly needs of a redesign and recode. It's amazing how much you learn in a couple years. :)

Take a peek at the design and let me know what you think!

http://bit.ly/c5EMNl

Ah the eternal problem, client's tacky taste versus web designers much better taste. Unfortunately you have to give them a product that they are happy with, and if you can't live with it, don't put it in your portfolio. I have several of those, and although I could do with the exposure, the clients like to mess around and mess up the sites and I really cannot put their awful DW resulting code into my portfolio.

As you said

It's amazing how much you learn in a couple years. :)

You ought to search out other comparible high school drama sites and see how they match up to what they are wanting. Sometimes client thinks what's cool to them is not really cool at all after the site is finished and launched. By then, it's too late to afford a change.

You ought to search out other comparible high school drama sites and see how they match up to what they are wanting. Sometimes client thinks what's cool to them is not really cool at all after the site is finished and launched. By then, it's too late to afford a change.

High school sites, overall, are all terribly bad. I did do a bit of research, and really didn't find any that I liked or that looked half-way professional. In this case, I think the client has a very specific idea in mind what they are wanting, but is having trouble communicating what they want. Unfortunately, it seems they expect me to be a mind-reader about what they want, which is something I'll have to work on...

If that is the case then have him search the net and find sites that he likes as a go by. He can also point out different functionallities from various sites that he would like to have.

Otherwise, if he cannot communicate well to give you a good visual, he will have to draw something up himself to give you a clear picture. It's not always easy to get something out of your head and onto paper.

• 2 weeks later...

For anyone who is interested, here is the near-final version of the design. The client's quite happy with it, and I think I was able to meet their expectations without making the design feel too cheesy. We went in a bit of a different direction and it feels a bit more fun/interesting rather than conservative/professional.

http://bit.ly/93eUau