Online Store

I have recently set up an online store selling bags, purses and wallets. I have learnt html and css to make the site and I use Roman Cart to handle the payment pages. So far this seems to be working OK. What I would like to do next is offer visitors to my site the option to view bags by colour, brand or price but I don't know how to do it. I think PHP and mysql databases may be involved but if someone can point me in the right direrction I would be very grateful.

As far as I understand it, it looks like Roman Cart provides a basic system for selling products primarily involving shopping cart buttons that they generate for you. Their system doesn't provide anything beyond super-basic product management.

Based on your website, it looks like your site is primarily static HTML files. In order to add search or organization functionality, you'd need to modify your website to store all of your products in a MySQL database and retrieve and display the products using PHP. You'd need to build out a system that would allow you to view/edit/add/delete products from a database and categorize them by specific attributes. This would require at least intermediate PHP and MySQL knowledge.

A very basic place to start might by my tutorial on creating/removing/updating/deleting records from a database. You can take a look at the code here: http://www.killersites.com/community/index.php?/topic/3064-basic-php-system-view-edit-add-delete-records-with-mysqli/ or I have also put together a couple part video screencast series that explains the code and shows the process of coding ("PHP CRUD Videos" within the PHP section, available in the KillerSites University http://killersites.com/university/ - subscription required.) I've also done a series on creating a PHP login that might be useful as well if you want to build out a backend to the site that would let you manage your products ("PHP Login" also available in the KS University.)

Alternately, you may want to consider switching to a different ecommerce system that allows you to manage your products and provides the categorization functionality for you.

Actually, though they are a little bit tricky to find, it appears that 9 of the 18 videos in the PHP Login series are available on YouTube. They skip around a bit unfortunately -- it's up to Stefan which videos he wants to upload. One way or another though, you should get a feel for the series.

1. ht tp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCduI1JAFWo

3. ht tp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VY3-k4ZKoPk

4. ht tp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbv-_oGA7n4

5. ht tp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UkSBrlfhgE

8. ht tp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PatSlAoqOmU

9. ht tp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGl5TOZPdX0

11. h ttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BN8Y-SmbRQM

14. h ttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwfYxfvGgJg

16. h ttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s39t9f3A-TA

And the first 3 videos of the 8 videos I did on PHP CRUD are also available:

1. ht tp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJWZbSYoNhs

2. ht tp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0ke3MZLKfw

3. htt p://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlGOcluA4Ns

[remove spaces - this forum automatically embeds the videos unless I modify the URL.]

Actually, though they are a little bit tricky to find, it appears that 9 of the 18 videos in the PHP Login series are available on YouTube. They skip around a bit unfortunately -- it's up to Stefan which videos he wants to upload. One way or another though, you should get a feel for the series.

1. ht tp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCduI1JAFWo

3. ht tp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VY3-k4ZKoPk

4. ht tp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbv-_oGA7n4

5. ht tp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UkSBrlfhgE

8. ht tp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PatSlAoqOmU

9. ht tp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGl5TOZPdX0

11. h ttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BN8Y-SmbRQM

14. h ttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwfYxfvGgJg

16. h ttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s39t9f3A-TA

And the first 3 videos of the 8 videos I did on PHP CRUD are also available:

1. ht tp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJWZbSYoNhs

2. ht tp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0ke3MZLKfw

3. htt p://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlGOcluA4Ns

[remove spaces - this forum automatically embeds the videos unless I modify the URL.]

Thank you very much for taking the time and trouble to give me such a useful reply to my question. I'm very pleased just to know that I am not barking up the wrong tree - again. I will certainly check out the videos and tutorials as this is something I would really like to be able to do myself and I have no doubt that PHP would be a very valuable tool for other things as well. Thanks again.