More public profiles ...

administrator

Hi,

I am now working on an idea to rank members based on more than forum posts - more on that later. The question I have for you guys (and gals) is whether or not you like the idea that member ranks and activity will be displayed on a widget embedded on the home pages of our top 4-5 websites.

For example, with every forum post, your profile + avatar and a link to your profile, would pop-up to the top of the widget exposing you to an audience far greater than the forum. Much in the same way we display latest forum and newsletter subscribers on our home page. The more you interact with KS (even outside of the forum ... more on that in another post) the more often you will appear in the widget and the higher rank you will have.

... Of course, what we display will have more information about you than the simple widget we now have for the newsletter subscribers.

Let me know.

Stefan

I think that would be a great idea to do it based on not only rank but activity. A nice alert pop up on a mouse over would be awesome never seen it done before on a forum.

Why do you have this meta tag in index on Killer Sites? <meta name="MSSmartTagsPreventParsing" content="true">

Edited by Webkiller

Why do you have this meta tag in index on Killer Sites? <meta name="MSSmartTagsPreventParsing" content="true">

That's there to stop an annoying IE "feature" called Smart Tags, which basically rewrites the pages you visit in IE to include links which you didn't put there yourself. If I remember correctly, it's a bit old and only affects IE 6/7, but I'd need to look into it again to tell you exactly.

It's difficult to get any system of rating users working properly.

I've noticed on other forums that you sometimes get a beginner who doesn't know anything who posts lots and lots of questions. As they pass say 50 posts they get made an advanced member and when passing 100 they become an expert, which isn't true.

So you need to rate members on the quality, but then you hit another problem. Some members will answer very few questions, but take the really difficult ones about special subjects like ASP while others (like me) answer lots of easy beginners questions.

Some members will get a lot of + for useful answers while others don't sem to get them. The rating on this forum doesn't seem to be used much. On another forum users are much more likely to give an answer a +

The only real way is for the administrator to rate members according to how he values them, but that might cause a bit of friction!

You could have it so that with every post, a user gains "points" for the next rank, but also have it where users can add/subtract points due to quality. For example: A user joins the site, starts posting information that isn't helpful or related. The new user would get points for each of those posts, but let's say I see the post and mark it negatively, that would take away (a) point(s) and keep that user from gaining.

It's hard to explain what I'm thinking, but I hope I explained it well enough.

We had the discussion about negative rating before. On another forum it was quickly disabled because people were using the - vindictively and arguments arose.

Believe me, it soon raises your blood pressure when someone starts giving you a negative rating!

There was a period on another forum where some kind of battle was going on against one guy.

Edited by Wickham

That's why I think the rating systems is flawed and should be rid of. Stef, (in my opinion) is trying to add more benefits for those that frequent here and play a big role in providing support/answers to both easy and challenging questions.

You are going to have pros and cons about things like this. Why rock the boat?

Stef, (in my opinion) is trying to add more benefits for those that frequent here and play a big role in providing support/answers to both easy and challenging questions.

Bingo.

I also want to encourage interaction with other aspects of the site. So this rank would not necessarily denote skill level, instead it would denote participation. But ... the implication though, is that if you are really active, that means you are really into web design etc ..

I will consider all your comments. I've been sick the last week (flu) and so I haven't been able to do much of anything.

• 2 years later...

It's difficult to get any system of rating users working properly.

I've noticed on other forums that you sometimes get a beginner who doesn't know anything who posts lots and lots of questions. As they pass say 50 posts they get made an advanced member and when passing 100 they become an expert, which isn't true.

AMEN! A few years ago I was one of those newbies who got ranked "expert" or some such before we changed the format and every one got started over again from scratch, except for you real experts as it should be!

Happy new year every one!

Alfie