The Web is Dead

straightryder

Here's the article: http://www.wired.com/magazine/2010/08/ff_webrip/all/1

Basically, the focus of the article (as far as I understand it, at least) is that smartphone use is going to take over laptop/computer use, and that less people will be using the internet and more people will be using smart phone apps instead. For example, why use Netflix's website to change your queue/watch movies if you can do it easier/simpler using the Netflix app?

I think there is some truth to that argument, since I'd much rather use a app that has been custom made for my device and (hopefully) is easier to use than a website, but I can't see the internet going away anytime soon. Apps have to be distributed somehow, and being able to do that online makes the most sense.

I didn't read the article, but just going off what you said, Ben, I agree. Personally, I love my Droid phone and all that I can do with it, but I always look forward to using my computer because the bigger display and keyboard are so much easier and faster for me to use.

• 1 month later...

To some extent, TVs are starting to be built with Netflix installed. Personally I surf mostly on my iPhone, Laptop just for creativity and iTunes.

There are gadgets now that allow me to plug my iPhone into the TV and have it show on screen, so I can watch netflix movies over a large screen from my Netflix app. I also watch netflix movies on my iPhone at work at lunch. I am on the phone off and on all day every day, my laptop maybe gets used a couple times a week.

I also watch Netflix using the Netflix CD for the Wii, now they have a Netflix channel for the same, though I have yet to try it.

• 1 month later...

I personally do not believe that the "web" is going any where any time soon. There are way to many integrated infrastructures for the Web to strive within. Think about the office and college dorms filled with students who need to do papers and whatnots. It is convienant to have that lil device in your pocket and check random things on the go but for a full scale take over from laptops and desk tops I just dont see that happening at this time. While its true that every poece of technology is eventually replaced by something better the foundation for which the Web survises is far to solid and functional to be replaced completly by a pocket smart phone.