W3c Said close the Meta tags like this?

Webkiller

W3C is telling me to close the meta tags like this /> and not like this >. Even websites all over the web say close like this > including major search engines like google and bing and yahoo.

I mean would it throw off your meta tag in SEO to close it like />. I bet it wouldn't but you never know with all the little stuff these days???

It depends whether your doctype is HTML or XHTML.

HTML strict and transitional and framesets should have only > to close meta tags and several other tags like img br hr input etc.

XHTML doctypes must have the above tags closed with /> and must have lower case for code markup (tag names).

Using the wrong closing tag will raise errors in a validator, but the page may still display OK as browsers often disregard errors. I doubt if it affects SEO.

Edited by Wickham

It depends whether your doctype is HTML or XHTML.

HTML strict and transitional and framesets should have only > to close meta tags and several other tags like img br hr input etc.

XHTML doctypes must have the above tags closed with /> and must have lower case for code markup (tag names).

Using the wrong closing tag will raise errors in a validator, but the page may still display OK as browsers often disregard errors. I doubt if it affects SEO.

Just gave your rep for a great comment.