EU v Microsoft: Bundling Internet Explorer in Windows

tpattison

Here they go again... Last time the EU fined MS for bundling Windows Media Player with Windows. This time it's Internet Explorer!

In its statement on Friday the Commission said: "Microsoft's tying of Internet Explorer to the Windows operating system harms competition between web browsers, undermines product innovation and ultimately reduces consumer choice."

So, should the EU play fair and ban Apple bundling Safari with OSX? Should any software be shipped with an operating system? :rolleyes:

BBC - Microsoft is accused by EU again

This article by Ars Technica brought up an interesting point on this topic... If Windows will come without a browser, how will the end user access the internet to download an alternative?

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20090118-eu-vs-microsoft-bundling-wars-ad-nauseam.html

I think this may have more to do with the fact that IE is required for several features that Microsoft has, like Windows Update. Safari does come "bundled" with Macs, but it isn't depended on by anything in the OS.

If Windows will come without a browser, how will the end user access the internet to download an alternative?

Very good point! I can see that Microsoft will be forced to provide a "locked down" browser (IE), only being able to visit certain bookmarked sites. From there, the user can download the full IE, Firefox, Opera or whatever.

I think this may have more to do with the fact that IE is required for several features that Microsoft has, like Windows Update.

I'm sure a purpose built application could be built - automatic updates already does this to an extent.

Simple solution would be continue to allow MS to have IE as the default but also install at least 3 other major browser (not a link to install them) in which icons are displayed on the desktop.

Think about it. It's their OS. It's not their fault if they know how to market their product. If we don't like it...don't buy it.

It's as simple and as difficult as that.