website problems

lixtifur

I have been working on a (www .el vitrading.net/NICKSART) website and have noticed a few differences among web browsers. The website I have created looks exactly how I intended it to look with FireFox. Both versions of IE have some problems. IE6 has more problems then IE7.

-I have a line underneath the first h2 element(About Nick...) that does not even appear. (it is an inline style -top border)

-Inner_right is an ID selector and its border-left property does not even appear on About Nick page(index.html)

-I have hyper links that are styled with pseudo selectors. The color property has a value of inherited(The color would come from a class selector-menubox). The inherited color is not there.

-The amont of space between "About Nick" (h2 element) and the line underneath(on gallery and contact pages) is different in IE.

-The footer has no border in IE

-In IE6 my brown margin is not correct.

Firefox and Opera are fine.

This website was validated XHTML and CSS. What do web designers/developers do in when browswers have different standards?

Thank you

For the dotted top border create a space in the style before the color:-

Same with footer:-

#footer {

clear:both;

width:100%;

background-color:#EED8B3;

color: #48381F;

font-size: 10px;

border-top:1px solid #48381F;

border-bottom:1px solid #48381F;

text-align: right;

}

Same for inner_right:-

#inner_right {

float:right;

margin-top:0;

width:155px;

overflow:hidden;

padding:2px;

border-left:1px dotted #A8A8A8;

position:relative

}

At the moment your hover color #48381F; (brown) in menubox a:hover is working in Firefox and in IE7. .menubox a:link and .menubox a:visited have color:inherit; which comes from .menubox which is #EDE0BE (cream) so that is working in Firefox but IE7 does not operate inherit for color, only background-color so edit:-

.menubox a:link {

display:block;

width:154px;

color:#EDE0BE;/*inherit;*/

background-color:inherit;

font-size: 12px;

text-decoration:none;

}

.menubox a:visited {

display:block;

color:#EDE0BE;/*inherit;*/

width:154px;

font-size: 12px;

text-decoration:none;

}

-The amont of space between "About Nick" (h2 element) and the line underneath(on gallery and contact pages) is different in IE.

It's the same on the index page (after curing the dotted top border); you have converted h2 from a block element to an inline element with display: inline and it has lost the default margins. If you want to leave it as an inline element add a line-height 1.3 or 1.4:-

h2 { line-height: 1.3;

color:#48381F;

font-size: 22px;

display:inline;

}

If you want the small image blocks.gif to be on the same line as the h2 heading, edit the markup to add display: inline like the h2:-

About Nick...

Edit the Gallery and Contact pages the same way.

(If you delete the display: inline to turn it back into a block element, add margin-bottom: 4px; instead of the line-height, but then you may have positioning problems with the image blocks.gif which is just before it, so I found it best to do the display inline edits above.)

I can see that the patterned background shows on the right in IE6; cancel the default body margin (20px) which seems to be the problem:-

body {

background-image: url("images/body_bk.jpg");

color: #48381F; margin: 0;

}

why have you got #wrap as position: absolute? I don't think it needs to be. You can also delete position: absolute as well as adding the above body margin: 0; but it doesn't seem to be necessary to do this:-

#wrap {

top:0;

left:0;

width:100%;

font: 14px/16px Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;

/*position:absolute;*/

}

Edited by Wickham

Hello Wickham,

Thank you for helping me find solutions. :)

There is still that one problem I have with the brown margin on the left side(only in IE6). The width is set at 155px, the right margin of the right side is 155px -Everything looks good to me. What could be wrong? :rolleyes:

Thank you for your help,

lixtifur

May I make a little design suggestion while you are still in the testing stage.

It would look more balanced if the palette and its background colour in the header image lined up with the navigation column. For the moment they are offset. They could also both do with being a little wider. More like 1/3 - 2/3 ratio, I believe the optimal ratio is 3/8ths to 5/8ths for a 2 column layout.

The navigation links could do with being a little larger and better spaced, they don't stand out enough and are smaller than the general text.