CSS is driving me nuts...

elum.chaitu

Been at this one for so long that I'm not seeing the wood for the trees. You know what it's like...

Anyway, here's the problem... I've got a nested list on my site navigation. The parent list font size is set to 1.2em (12px). I want the sub-list to be 1em (10px). The code, I thought, should look something like this:

Code:

#sitenav ul li ul li{font-size:1em;}

I've tried every combination I can think of and just can't get the font to the size I want! Could someone please put me out of my misery?!?!

And yes, I am embarrassed to be asking such an easy question!

Using ems the size is adjusted cumulatively, so if the parent is 1.2em and the child is 2em the size displayed will be 1.2*2.0 = 2.4em.

If you want the child to be look like 1 em visually you will have to code it as 0.833em so that 1.2*0.833 = 1em. I believe that decimal places do get calculated but more than one decimal place won't show any difference on the screen.

If you later use the same list without a parent font size in em then you will have to use another class with 1.0em.

So using ems can need more attention to which is a child of which parent.

Edited by Wickham