Beginners vs Joomla

flashlrue

When you say "classes" do you mean something online, or an actual college level type class?

I usually suggest starting with beginners web design first, and once you have the basics down (HTML and CSS) then move on to other topics such as Javascript, PHP or a CMS like Joomla. If you don't have much experience with the basics of web design, you might find the Joomla class a bit tough, but it just depends on how you learn/your teacher/etc.

I'm not sure how well Joomla would work for small sites like you are talking about -- my impression is that it is better for larger, more complicated sites. A person who has more experience with Joomla will need to comment on that though.

Joomla is good for small to large businesses or comprehensive sites like a magazine, infomational, etc. but it may be an overkill for what you want. Joomla can be a bit overwhelming as well which is why it's very important to get the basic of HTML and CSS as Ben suggested. I also strongly suggest to get some php knowledge as well because it is written in php and you may require to make some modifications of your own to fit your needs.

Look into Wordpress for simple sites. Although it's been labeled as a blog it can be set up as a CMS too.