Advice Needed!

KlownzDEMON

Hello everybody! This is my first time on the forum, I'm quite new to web design but In really want to learn more so hopefully some of you can help me.

Currently the method I use to create my sites is to create a photoshop design of how I want the page to look, I then transfer it into fireworks, slice parts up etc & then transfer to dreamweaver to finish it off. Is this the correct/best way to do things? Also I always seem to have problems with aligning images & text etc. For example, if I was to add too much text while in dreamweaver it would make a image next to it display too far down the page when I preview the page, if you know what I mean?

I'm no expert on html or css although I am trying to learn as I feel this could solve alot of my problems. I feel i'm very good at the design part of it so I want to be able to take my designs & make them into fully working websites.

Can anyone offer me some tips please?

What method do you use to create your sites?

Thanks in advance :)

Slice only the images that cannot be achieve using background-color. For instance, you may have a solid background color for your content area. Just use CSS background color intead.

There are many other different possibilities for a content background such as pattern, gradient, etc. Pattern for instance, Just slice out just enough of the pattern to where you can use CSS background-repeat to repeat it.

Can you upload a jpg of your design to see what you have and maybe we can give you suggestions on how to slice it?

Slice only the images that cannot be achieve using background-color. For instance, you may have a solid background color for your content area. Just use CSS background color intead.

There are many other different possibilities for a content background such as pattern, gradient, etc. Pattern for instance, Just slice out just enough of the pattern to where you can use CSS background-repeat to repeat it.

Can you upload a jpg of your design to see what you have and maybe we can give you suggestions on how to slice it?

Thanks for your reply. Have a look at this image.

What parts would you slice? Just the main picture? What about the logo?

post-29538-072769900 1283435527_thumb.pngpost-29538-022895600 1283435609_thumb.png

I see 5 slices you need:

-logo at the top

-logo at the bottom

-content's main image

-top menu default state

-top menu hover state

Everything else can be set using CSS.

For the menu default and hover state, each will only need to be 1 pixel wide by whatever height it is. You would then apply that image as a background via CSS and use background repeat to repeat it from left to right (repeat-x)

Same thing for the hover state. You can then use text for each menu link.