Ripped off sites

falkencreative

If you want a "joke"... my content was ripped, submitted to an article ezine and still has the GTA in it when it has been edited a little to reflect India... LMAO!

I am dyin here! :P

S

ETA: I contacted all the places I found it... One already responded, took the article down, and provided me with the alternate contact for the person. *thumbs up!*

ETA2: OMG! Would you believe I found another one copying a different page. I now have to check all pages. Low and behold it is a direct rip re the .biz site.

If you want a "joke"... my content was ripped, submitted to an article ezine and still has the GTA in it when it has been edited a little to reflect India... LMAO!

I am dyin here! :P

S

ETA: I contacted all the places I found it... One already responded, took the article down, and provided me with the alternate contact for the person. *thumbs up!*

ETA2: OMG! Would you believe I found another one copying a different page. I now have to check all pages. Low and behold it is a direct rip re the .biz site.

Are you using copyscape? http://www.copyscape.com/

In the top ten results I have 5 sites that have copied and pasted my "entire" website! All 40 pages! Man... now my hearts all beating fast... That content took me 5 months to write. Everyday from 4am to 7am. Weekends all day. Now I'm peed...

That's why copyscape comes in handy... I know it's trouble taking care of it, but at least you know about it now and can take action.

Looks like I may have to take it to the next step with one of them. Whatever that is...? She just kept trying to talk me into why my content should stay on her site. Like talking to a child. You know, the normal "day - care" lady type, 300lbs, mid-America, bordering on retarded. So I simply told her (nicely but firmly), remove it ASAP or I will be forced to take action. Therefore, you will not only have to remove it, but I will also receive damges (money). We'll see...

Edited by Eric

Sorry to read what happened to you there Eric. :o

I've been reading that if the look of the website is similar, but the code isn't, then any case against someone who does this is going to be weakened.

Let's face it, there's a lot of scumbags out there who aren't interested in gleaning inspiration for their own betterment.

You know, maybe hiding the code isn't the way to go about it. Maybe if this thing gets out of hand (as I believe it's becoming), perhaps then, all access should be denied to most who may wish to enable the 'view source' command, except of course, in forums like these.

Yeah, I thought that'd go down well. :lol:

What I mean to say is, only allow access to the browser's view source command in situations when only legitimate viewing and testing are required -- if it can be done, that is?

Okay, okay, I know that this suggestion probably sounds like sacrilege to you (and me, for that matter), but what has anyone or international body being doing all this while to get something done about it?

I have read of other agencies' work being ripped-off and claimed to be their own work. It's scandalous!

Okay, okay, I know that this suggestion probably sounds like sacrilege to you (and me, for that matter), but what has anyone or international body being doing all this while to get something done about it?

In the near future...

"Wow! Look at this site! Cool! Let's view the source, copy it and use it on our site."

*click*

*windows pops up*

"If you wish to view the source, you must provide your international registered web surfing ID and password"

:o

Edited by newseed

Alright, I think I covered my basis pretty well. I have the copyright in place on the bottom of each page with a firm (assessable) popup window/message. It's a tables mess so it took awhile. And if you try and right click on the text you get the same message. I would have just linked to a new page for the copyright, but I don't have a new flash menu to go along with it. Plus, the whole site is popup windows - wanted to stay true to the look and feel. That's my personal little message in there. No legal mumbo jumbo - just strait talk - but it has a lawyer flare to it I think. http://w ww.buil dingbloc kshom eday care.co m

Edited by Eric

You can still "view source" from the Firefox Web Developer toolbar with no pop up message.

Yes, the intent is not to stop anyone from taking anything (that's not possible). The intent is to simply warn (edit- discourage is a better word) them from doing so.

Edited by Eric

That makes me mad, I'd definitely contact them... or at least sign their email up to 1000 spam lists or something...... ok maybe not that.

Not sure if this one has been mentioned - my dad used it and found a few items (mainly blog entries) from his site, amazing what you can find. No-one copied my own site, and I don't blame them....

http://www.copyscape.com/

Perhaps the answer is that all of you need to start putting out shoddy code like the rest of us and amazingly all of the plagiarism will disappear overnight! I should do a tutorial on creating buggy code and bad web layouts for you all to learn from. I'm good, trust me!

I especially love the "Copyright ? 2009 Smahu services, s.r.o. V?etky pr?va vyhraden?."

Edited by eyezac

Well... I have to update this thread... Because this is worth posting. Here is the extreme content removal:

The site that ripped part of my .biz site is presently down. I took the time to contact others who had been ripped as it was a plethora of ripped content in a very close knit industry. We might not all chat and get along but many of us are women now days and we're not the type to take things lightly... Or nicely at times.

In contacting others I did the research prior and provided it the others who had been ripped who keep a legal representative on contract. *looks innocent*

I was/am fully aware that a couple companies and persons in question have those resources, and while I tried the direct method... And failed as soon as this guy realized who I was... They went legal.

As of today the site is GONE. It stands to reason that this person may resurface and I will still have to check things from time to time... But I doubt they will make the same mistake again.

That copyscape site really is useful.

I tried it with my sites, my tutorial showed up my own mirror site I have as free webspace with my ISP!

I then used copyscape on my old mirror site which showed lots of entries, but most seemed to be just short extracts with a link, which is acceptable.

@ Ben

Have you had any more contact with your plagiarist? I just checked and seen they are still boldly wearing the FalkenCreative skin... :/

I'm working on that still. We had a verbal agreement via email for me to do some work for him, and I'm just waiting for the money to arrive in my bank account (he's paying half up front, half on completion). I need to follow up to make sure he at least credits me for the design while I am doing the work for him.

I dunno, we'll see if it works out or not. He could just be stalling. Even if he is, anyone who searches for "smahuservices" via google will find my blog post about it (though it apparently isn't ranking that highly for "smahu services", sadly)

I'm sure they understand English. I would also email the company whose products they are selling spector360 dot com and tell them about the problem' date=' maybe they will have some influence. Although if you notice the links to spector from their product page does not work.

How did you find out?[/quote']

I was looking at my stats and noticed that one of their pages were redirecting to mine... at least, before they changed it. Otherwise, I probably never would have known.

Thanks for the links Newseed -- I'll take a look.

Dang that sucks... I was wondering how you figured it out. BTW Your site is awesome!

Dang that sucks... I was wondering how you figured it out. BTW Your site is awesome!

Thanks for the compliment. :) I just launched a proper blog section for it this past weekend -- instead of being static HTML, it pulls all my posts in from a database, and allows visitors to comment and interact more directly with me... and of course it has an administrative center that allows me to add/edit/remove posts and moderate comments. I'm pretty proud of it, though I am sure for any "real" PHP developer that actually has a couple years of experience, it would just take them a couple hours to put together. I have to start somewhere though. :P