I want to seriously learn web designing

Guest shefali

Guest shefali

Hi i m shefali,

I have almost full knowledge of html and some about java script. But i don't have knowledge about photoshop and any other thing what should I do for create my person website as well as come in to this field?

The "Field" is very tricky and I highly suggest you get a degree in it. I have been doing this since 2000, I cannot say how many jobs I have not gotten because I don't have a pedigree.

If you want to work as a real job and not freelance, get a degree. ITT that you see on TV often, they have a good Associates degree program. I was set to take it but had to accept a job before it started. Look into them or local colleges.

Also I like the books by Scott Kelby, Mine was PS 6 I think "Down & Dirty Tricks", but that series is great. Also Lydia.com has some wonderful video tutorials all all sorts of software.

Also a good idea to get some programming under your belt, PHP at least and some database experience.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest think_pixel

I agree with getting a degree - this will help in the long run in terms of getting jobs, as well as expose you to further web design/development technologies. I find online tutorials for Photoshop are just as good as anything. In addition, nothing beats having a good play about with Photoshop, you will learn more thorough by experiencing the program!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest ammygill

Hi shefali,

Its good to hear that you want to make career in website designing. You have complete knowledge of html and javascript but still I suggest you to join a specialized web desiging institute that may help you a lot.

Hi i m shefali,

I have almost full knowledge of html and some about java script. But i don't have knowledge about photoshop and any other thing what should I do for create my person website as well as come in to this field?

I would also suggest you or a employer getting a degree. You can be taught one on one by that person also. I would suggest going for the masters in web design. When your at the college for what ever degree you are taking drop by the professors rooms to go over what you have done on a web project. They are great at looking over custom scripts to experimenting with new styles etc.

I would also suggest you or a employer getting a degree. You can be taught one on one by that person also. I would suggest going for the masters in web design. When your at the college for what ever degree you are taking drop by the professors rooms to go over what you have done on a web project. They are great at looking over custom scripts to experimenting with new styles etc.

I second the overall sentiment -- to get a degree of some sort, but I would be wary of getting a degree specifically in web design. The web industry changes constantly, and I have found it easier and more effective to keep up with changes on my own. I'm sure it depends who teaches the classes/where you go to learn, but the ones I have taught often don't teach up to date techniques or best practices. My personal call would be to either get a degree in computer science (if you like the coding side of things) or design (if you like the design side of web design) rather than specifically web design.

You could always photoshop a degree if it comes down to it ;)

Actually, don't take my advice.

Go for the degree... but in the meantime spend you time on this board. For the past year I've learned more from this site than from any other. The people on here are very helpful and will take away most of your headaches when it comes down to moments of suicide.

Stick with one forum for your questions. Killersites.com is one of the best. I find it very close knit an there's no flaming going on here which is good. Then again there are other forums that are good as well but I find this one more helpful than others.

As for photoshop; just go pickup a basic classroom in a book to get an overview of how it works. Take a weekend to go through it. Its not hard at all. Once you get that down move on to tutorials online. Honestly, just burry your head in it over the weekend...

• 1 month later...

I recently started web graphic design at DeVry University. I like it, but want to get into the core of the program. Not so much into the English and other classes. I have been told the same thing about needing the degree to get in the door with a good company.

I hope I am doing this right. I have not posted to a forum before. I too just started at Devry. I started a class in Adobe Flash today. I have taken a couple of design classes already there and so far I have had really great passionate teachers. The classes I am taking are online and I was surprised at the quality of them. They seem much better than the online classes I have taken at Jr college. Good luck.

I am new at this. I think it is good to get a degree and also learn from everywhere that you can.

This is my first time in a forum. I am confused about fast reply and regular replies and why my post comes out with the persons question in the top of it and other peoples don't. Am I doing something wrong?

@UrbanMermaid

Using the fast reply box or clicking the "Add Reply" button at the bottom of the page should give you a regular post like your post above.

Clicking the "reply" link just below someone's post will insert that person's post within [ quote] [/ quote] tags at the top of your post, unless you edit/delete it. This allows you to quote other member's posts and to specify what part of the conversation you want to reply to.

Guest evil0ne

you can use joomla CMS for creating your site, even good web designers use joomla to make neat and beautiful websites

Edited by Andrea
Link Deleted - No Spam Please

• 1 year later...

The "Field" is very tricky and I highly suggest you get a degree in it. I have been doing this since 2000, I cannot say how many jobs I have not gotten because I don't have a pedigree.

If you want to work as a real job and not freelance, get a degree. ITT that you see on TV often, they have a good Associates degree program. I was set to take it but had to accept a job before it started. Look into them or local colleges.

Also I like the books by Scott Kelby, Mine was PS 6 I think "Down & Dirty Tricks", but that series is great. Also Lydia.com has some wonderful video tutorials all all sorts of software.

Also a good idea to get some programming under your belt, PHP at least and some database experience.

Not sure I agree with the degree part. I have never been asked, what schooling I have had, Only what have you done and where can I find it at.

Hi i m shefali,

Well, There are two ways of learning web design that is traditional course and online training. As per my view of online training is best and effective for learning the web design. Even many companies are offering such training courses for their employes.