.css files

rtrem10

I have created a root.css file and dropped it in the folder of the website I am working on, as instructed on the video. It is still saved as a notepad doc and will not read on my site. Is this .css file supposed to be saved a certain way so that the browser can read it?

You've included the link to the CSS file within the <head> section of your HTML, correct? Be aware that file names are case sensitive.

Also, by default Windows hides the file extension, so it's possible that the file that you think is called "root.css" is actually "root.css.txt". To check this:

Windows XP:

-- Open up the folder that includes root.css in your file browser

-- Go up to Tools > Folder Options

-- Select the "view" tab

-- Make sure the "hide file extensions for known file types" is unchecked

-- Click "OK" to save any changes

Windows 7 (and possibly Vista, I'm not sure):

-- Open up the folder that includes root.css in your file browser

-- press the alt key on your keyboard -- the File menu bar should appear in the file browser window

-- Go up to Tools > Folder Options

-- Select the "view" tab

-- Make sure the "hide file extensions for known file types" is unchecked

-- Click "OK" to save any changes

Let me know if that fixes it. If you do have that checkbox checked, make sure to uncheck it, and then check your "root.css" file again. Make sure that the file extension is .css, not .css.txt.

You've included the link to the CSS file within the <head> section of your HTML, correct? Be aware that file names are case sensitive.

But will the browser read a notepad file? When Stefen saves it on the video the file seems to change to a different format. When I save it as a .css it just stays in the notepad icon and the browser is not reading it. The link is right because I a doing exactly what the video is doing.

When I save it as a .css it just stays in the notepad icon and the browser is not reading it.

It probably changes icons because Stefan has Dreamweaver or another program on his computer that is set up to open .css files. That may be why the icon changes for him. As long as the file ends in .css, no matter what text editor creates it, it should be fine.

Double check my post above regarding the .css.txt issue -- I edited the post and it's possible that you missed it.