Any feedback pls

M77

Ive been learning coding (the best i can with anything i can find online) since just before xmas, and did this on a free web host for a few friends at work, would really appreciate any critique from some people in the know though.

[deleted]

(remove spaces)

p.s the code is valid, but the web host i'm using adds an analytic code i cant remove or edit??

Edited by M77

Right off the top, ditch the red text. Those who are color blind and can't see red will see Dark Olive green on black. I think 30% of the population is colorblind, 90% of that are men and most often red cannot be seen.

Ditch the validation badges to. No one cares but us and we can check ourselves. It is really embarassing when you make a mistake in an update and do not test it and claim what is not valid to be valid.

PS - The M77 was a grenade launcher as I recall, Vietnam "Blooper" I believe.

(well I was almost right, it is a grenade launcher, but more modern, also a rocket launcher and even a spiral galaxy... let me guess, likely a highway in GB too.)

Nice work, considering you just started. Here is my list of suggestions:

Ditch the XHTML doctype and go with HTML - for an explanation, read the sticky in the HTML/XHTML forum here.

'click here' is kind of so 90s --- most folks nowadays know what to do when they see an underline

s are meant to be used in order of importance - so you make your most important title on your page

, the second most important

and so on - you jump from

to

Don't use

s inside

s -

is only for a line break - enclose every paragraph in

tags, and use your CSS to add spaced between the paragraphs.

Don't do

- make is

and then style that in your CSS.

Avoid inline styling - unless it's really something that will only happen one time on your entire site.

Drop the hit counter, too - it's amateurish.

And whatever LSW said - btw, I'm not colorblind, but that red on black is kind of hard on my eyes, too.

You have a few empty divisions - what's the point of those?

But other than that, VERY nice work for a first.

Firstly, thankyou for your input :)

LSW quick color change and validation boxes done,

M77 is name related and just something a friend online started calling me, oh and yes it is a GB highway too, lol :lol:

Thelma gonna start working through your suggestions 2moro, ;)

-HTML/XHTML, will check the sticky thanks

-dropped div's just need tidying up from other ideas i tried, tbh forgot,

etc trying to change things quickly, rather than correctly, lol :P

-click here.. will remove, only added coz the friends i aimed the pages for have little pc knowledge.

Edited by M77