Help me select a name

icky_thump

Hey Killers,

I'm creating a name/ID for freelance site design/development. I'm very undecided on this and thought I simply take a survey and see what sounds good to the masses. What better place to ask than good old KillerSites.

Please help me out and take a couple seconds to vote on a name.

Vote at MicroPoll (I have no affiliation with them, just a free service)

Thanks for your input!!!

One minor thing to consider -- check what domains are available... That's one reason I ended up changing my business name a couple years ago, since the domain name I had originally wanted was taken. Also, from an SEO perspective, you don't want potential clients searching for your name and potentially getting confused and visiting a competitor's website if other companies are using it. (Though, with a lot of domains already registered, this is a challenge.)

Also, keep in mind what sort of clients you want to attract, and how they may interpret the name.

I did a quick Google search on those names, and every single one of them is in use, besides "Aura web design" and "Stark Raving Mad Web Design". Aura is partially in use, since some other web companies are using it, but the domain name seems available. Stark Raving -- at least to me -- doesn't seem professional and isn't a name I would personally choose, since I think clients may have a bad initial reaction to the name.

Sometime 'names' can be difficult to come up with. However, the best approach is to keep it simple. Just take a look right under your nose because you have something right there.

For instant, you might be a redhead...so you could simply call your site name redheaddesign.com or redbearddesign.com if you have a beard.

If you are known to have very strong arms, you could use strongarmdesign.com. Maybe you wear glasses you could call it foureyesdesign.com.

I added the word 'design' to each name because it does help a bit with SEO.

You just have to be imaginative.

Thanks Falken, I had thought of the URL issue and you're right, a lot of names are taken in some context. There's always a way to make a name work in a URL, though could be confusing if not just straightforward.

I agree about Stark Raving Mad/Web. I do really like it, but I have those reservations of the negative implications of it. It was actually the first name I came up with, but my reservations drove me to explore others resulting in the poll.

Thanks NewSeed. Good ideas. I'll have to noodle around with that some more. I just haven't found anything I like in taking that approach.

I even tried to come up with a made up, easy to spell, fun to say name like Google, but haven't created anything suitable yet.

I even tried to come up with a made up, easy to spell, fun to say name like Google

You'll probably find that everything under the sun is taken if you are looking for a dot com, even made up names. Adding design onto the word you choose would probably help though. I was just looking for a name for a store and had a hard time finding something short and catchy that was available.