Best method to test site?

Baggy

Hi everyone, new here. I have an old site which I have downloaded into Dreamweaver CS3 to do some updating. Nothing too ambitious due to lack of knowledge, things like adding an extra navigation table to serve additional pages, changing colour schemes (trying to - may need some help here!) etc.

I have managed to do some stuff which looks OK when I view it locally in IE7. Now I want to make it available to my colleagues so they can see how it looks/works in their browsers and can provide input.

Therefore, I need to know how I can achieve this, without uploading the files to the server and risking it screwing up the site. I know htis can be done as the firm, that originally built the site, sent me a link to view/test before it went live.

Can anyone kindly suggest what I can try please?

Does your firm have an Intranet - or simply, just shared drives that are accessible to everyone? Put the site there.

Therefore, I need to know how I can achieve this, without uploading the files to the server and risking it screwing up the site.
Uploading files to a server does not screw things up - if things appear screwed up after they've been uploaded, then either one forgot to upload all the parts, and/or the site wasn't done right to begin with.

Thanks for the replies folks. We don't have an Intranet, and I'm concerned that, if I've made fundamental errors in the changes/additions I've made, it might screw other parts of the site.

If I put it on a pen drive, wouldn't the others need Dreamweaver to be able to open files and view it in their browsers?

Someone has suggested I create a new folder on the server and load a copy of the 'local site' (the one I'm working on in DW) into that. Then add the name of the folder as www.blahblah.co.uk/newfolder for the link to send to the others. If this is right, how do I add the new folder onto the server please?

If you put it on a pen drive, it will open up in whatever their default browser is. You can carry your whole site around on a pen drive and test it on different computers and browsers.

To upload to your server.

First you will need the access codes for your server. Then you need to define your site in DW,

Local info - browse to your folder, HTTP address enter the name of your site.

Remote info - enter your access codes and click Test.

If you connect to the server, Click OK.

Then go back to the file panel and click on the connect button (looks like a plug) then select your folder and click the blue Up arrow.

Edited by virtual

virtual - thanks for that, followed some of it. I am already able to work on the site in DW, either in local or remote view. DW can connect to the server and I have already uloaded a couple of very minor changes, which worked OK.

Now I am doing a much larger job involving new Navigation Table and several new pages, involving quite a few links. It all looks/works OK when viewed in IE7 on the PC I'm working on but, as I've said, I want my colleagues to view/test/comment before uploading it to 'live' on the server.

Where I'm now unclear is how I get either the whole site, with my new stuff, or just my new stuff, onto the server so that only my colleagues can see it?

I have tried creating a new folder in the Local Root Folder - called new_work, thinking I could just copy the new files into there. Then (somehow) upload just the 'new_work' folder to the server with a link as described in my last post? What I found was: a) I couldn't work out how to copy the files, so I used drag & drop into 'new_work'. It asked me if I wanted to update the links as well. Somehow I don't feel that was the right method, so I've put it all back into the Root for now.

I realise I could do the pen drive thing but it means driving for an hour each way, every time I make changes. As this is going to be an ongoing project for a while, that's not really practical.

Sorry this is so long-winded but as you all know 'a little knowledge is dangerous', which makes me lethal I reckon!!

Now I will try to make a list - may be it will help you.

Your present site is in a root directory now with the address: ww w.yourdomain.com

[*]create a new folder in this root directory , called 'test', it will have an address ww w.yourdomain.com/test

[*]copy all your present website in this folder - all files and folders it consists of. Now the "test" folder is your test field for all new stuff.

[*]after you made your changes, upload this 'test' folder to the server. Now everybody, to whom you give the address ww w.yourdomain.com/test , will see the changes you've made.

Hope it will help you.

Im - thanks for that. I have created the new folder, called it "new_work".

I have copied and pasted the entire site into the new_work folder in Local View, so I'm assuming all the links etc. will be in there.

All I need to be sure about now is how to upload just the new_work folder.

Do I need to go into Remote View and create a new_work folder there to upload to or can I just click on the new_work folder in Local View and click on the upload arrow to send it (just that new_work folder) to the server?

As Thelma says, select your folder and click the PUT arrow, your whole folder will upload to the site.

Just remember that to view it, your address will be different htt p://yoursitename.whatever/new_work/

if your folder is named new_work. The trailing slash will tell the browser to look for your index or home file within that folder.

I would also suggest that you download different browsers to your computer, Firefox, Safari, Chrome, Opera so that you can test your site on them locally through DW. You can get a stand alone version of IE6, if you are running IE7, at evolt dot org or tredosoft dot com. If you still have IE6 and upgrade to IE7 it wipes out IE6 which is why you need a standalone version to test backwards compatible. If you are not comfortable with that, you can check what your site looks like in different IE versions once they are online with ipinfo dot info/netrenderer/ I would not bother with IE5, just IE6, and even that is subject to debate, but in your case I think it might be wise to test in IE6.