HTML won't recognize my CSS sheet?

Guest airind

Guest airind

I am not new to HTML but it has been awhile and I am new to CSS.

I created a css sheet for a website I am building. I use PageBreeze to build the html and link everything - and on the preview function of that my CSS is recognized and works beautifully.

However, when I upload it all to my FTP server, I cannot get it to recognize the CSS instructions at all. Both the html page and CSS file are housed in the same directory and all other images show up.

Now, I am just housing it temporarily on an FTP server that's reserved for my other website (it was built for me, css already included) until I get it looking the way I want and then I will get it its own location. So, there are 2 CSS files in the directory - one called "styles.css" and one called "zoo.css". The pages with the "styles.css" work fine, but the one I'm doing needs the "zoo.css" and it won't recognize. I've compared the html on the 'styles' pages with the html on the 'zoo' page and they are identical in the CSS code line except for the name of the css page.

Will 2 css pages conflict with eachother? Any other reason it won't link? I've even tried replace the href="zoo.css" with the full web address but that didn't work either.

It's driving me mental because it looks perfect on PageBreeze! I know the CSS page is coded properly I just can't figure out how to get it linked when I actually upload it. Any and all help is appreciated!

Several css files won't conflict with each other.

One possibility is a lower case/upper case conflict. Check that you used lower case in the link in the html file and that the link looks like this:-

<link rel="stylesheet" href="zoo.css" media="all" type="text/css">

media="screen" is an alternative. Put it in the head section. Close with /> instead of > if using a XHTML doctype.

Another posibility is that it's been saved as zoo.css.txt because the .txt extension sometimes gets added when you save from a text editor, so delete the .txt

Check that it's actually been uploaded.