Javascript Question *rollover & die"

straightryder

Im touching on Javascript and doing some tutorials... *BTW: Hardest thing I've ever tried to learn*

I noticed the external jquery.js for my rollover tutorial file to be utterly impossible to understand... Did someone actually sit there and type ALL that out or is it generated?

I really want to know what the structure is and how to understand it so i don't 'rollover' and die due to the stress that the amount of coding i saw.

lol

Thanks.

Also, I'm using "Javascript: The Missing Manuel" from O'Reilly press. Is there any other good sources you could recommend for a complete NOB when it comes to JS.

Thank you.

You may be using a packed or otherwise compressed version of jquery, which would explain why it is unreadable. If so, it isn't really intended to be "read" -- it has been compressed to save space and means the visitor won't have to download as large of a file.

Just as an example, here's the compressed version: http://code.jquery.com/jquery-1.4.2.min.js

And the uncompressed: http://code.jquery.com/jquery-1.4.2.js

One thing to keep in mind is that you really aren't supposed to understand the jquery file itself -- the important part is to understand how to use the features it gives you (and the jquery manual is pretty good at teaching the basics, and there are lots of tutorials online for jquery.)

A sound knowledge of CSS and Javascript is probably required to code with jQuery.

But don't let that steer you away from it, from my experience jQuery has the lowest learning curve out of all the other Javascript libraries such as YUI, mooTools, Scriptaculous etc.

A good place to start is the jQuery website. Try to go through their Tutorials, and also Documentation (start with Getting Started). If you don't understand anything that's there, then it might be a good idea to go for your Javascript book or Stefan's videos ;)