Learning HTML

niv78

I know of most of the tutorial sites. What i'm looking for is a place that teaches in this form. Here is the website you need to make, here is all the images etc you will need to make it. I learn from doing, and going through a tutorial only gives you the tools. I need to get better at using and remembering the tools.

Is there a site like this, have any of you learned through that method?

You may not find exactly that form of tutorial because no one knows what sort of page you want to make - two column? three column? side or top menu?

I think one good way is to use Google to search for a "free website template" that is close to what you want, and simple if you are a beginner, and start editing it.

When you make a bad mistake you can always go back to the template and start again.

Thanks for the tips. What are some of the ways people here have learned html/css/php? Those are the three i'm working on. I deal with HTML already, I just need to use it more so that I can remember it instead of looking up some of the more difficult things.

It mostly comes down to practice, and being active online in forums or keeping busy with web related projects. It also depends on your learning style... some learn better using videos, some like books, etc. I tend to like seeing things visually, so I often view screencasts. If you are wanting to pick up some PHP, look at killerphp.com or phpvideotutorials.com.

If you want to memorize this stuff (and are using Dreamweaver), I'd suggest switching to a text only editor that doesn't use dropdowns or shortcuts for coding (Notepad++ is a favorite of mine, depends on your preference). I originally started learning using Dreamweaver, but found that it was writing a lot of code for me and I really needed to memorize some of it. The constant repetition will help speed things up for you. Forming an online repository of coding notes/snippets helps too... I use Evernote to store little tricks and tips I learn, or links to useful articles I find online.

I always believed that being professional does not mean knowing everything, professionals simply know where to find the answers.

The more HTML you do, the more you will remember, hand coding helps, same with CSS. Explaining is good to, I don't know how often I expalined things here to help the others in my early days and then slapped my forehead at a connection I made in the process. So even if you tghink you do not know much, help out here and it will help you learn.

Here is the website you need to make, here is all the images etc you will need to make it.

You can try this tutorial - it will give you an idea on how create your own CSS template from mockup (image of your layout). Once you done it, it will be easy to code any layout using the same approach, just changing CSS.