Best Fit Web Design Software

Al

I'm fairly new to web design and have been using a variety of Microsoft products to design graphics and such. It is now time to step it up and purchase some new software. I would like to design scrolling text banners and be able to create crystal clear graphics. I'm currently using Dreamweaver and was wondering if I should stick with Adobe products like Photoshop and Flash. I hope this message is written in the correct forum and I would appreciate any advice given. Thanks - Al

Nothing wrong with Adobe even though the price is a bit steep compared to MS's Expression Suite.

Photoshop or Flash does not produce quality results by itself. It's the person that uses it. So you have the tools, you just need the know how.

(Cringe...)

Agree, it is the person and not the tool. Expression web design is good, I don't know any Graphic stuff from them, never tested anything. Also professionalism is always confused with tools.

Photoshop is great. Most expensive as well.

Fireworks is better in the case of Vector Graphics and it was created with web design in mind so it allows you to use it and Flash and Dreamweaver directly within each of those products. Cheaper as well.

Purely Vector Graphics and cartoon type graphics would be Illustrator for instance.

I have seen professional grade work come out of Corel's Paint Shop Pro, which is cheaper still.

If you would like to try Natural Media like Pastels, Water color, Oil paint etc., then check out Corel Painter.

Lastly is GIMP, originally for Linux, also offered for Windows. As good as Photoshop but Free. Just a steeper learning curve.

So it is about you skill and not the tool. Use what fits your wallet.

As far as scrolling graphics, best if you do not. Scrolling is disruptive and irritating. It draws attention away from content. People read at different speeds so it will be to fast for some and to slow for others. Anyone not speaking the language inherently may have trouble reading scrolling text. Anyone with a reading disorder will have trouble. Anyone with a cognitive disorder... Asberger Syndrome, Autism, Attention Deficit Disorder with or without Hyperactivity Disorder, Dyslexia etc. may have trouble with it. Many older folks with changing eyesight or poor eyesight may not care for it and older folks in general sometimes hate it after many years of pre web books and papers.

If you still wish to:

• Make it stop after one cycle
  • Allow the user to stop it
  • allow the user to control the spead

Lastly, depending on what you want to do, Adobe Flex web sites. These are Rich Internet Applications (RIAs) built for the web or for the desktop (AIR) using the Flex builder (based on Eclipse) or the free SDK (based on Eclipse) or the Flex plugin for Eclipse.. It can use any programming language, Action Script and you can import Flash animations. It is used for shopping sites or database type sites and does not REQUIRE programming languages, but best used with them. Have a look at it, the SDK is free.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest kevinride

My advice to you is have someone else make it for you. Tell them what all you want and let them work their magic. Sometimes web host's can do it for you, but also you can have a freelance artist do it.

Read more:-

Edited by Andrea
Link Removed

Adobe or Microsoft matter not; these are just the hammers and nails of web design. Your skill as a web designer makes it work.

... Crystal clear graphics will come from proper optimization and knowing when to use a JPEG or a PNG. Scrolling text banners and other page effects are probably best achieved using Flash or Ajax. If you go with Ajax, I would be learning Jquery.

Stefan

neewseed,

Nothing wrong with Adobe even though the price is a bit steep compared to MS's Expression Suite.

Photoshop or Flash does not produce quality results by itself. It's the person that uses it. So you have the tools, you just need the know how.

I'm agree with you, is not the software that makes someone good at web design, though it really improve speed in your developing. On the other hand there is the Free Software that you can use to achive your goals.

• 1 month later...

Also if you can afford latest adobe creative suite, will be better, as it has more tools, also they have optimized some programs, like photoshop, illustrator, in design, and adobe premier. And dreamweaver cs5 has html5 compatibility built in, and recently adobe launched an html5 kit for illustrator.

• 6 months later...
Guest Ivanlogs

I recommend that you use Artister. User friendly and lots of plug.ins that will surely enhance your site.

Edited by Andrea
Link Removed