I have a question about domain name

CrystalWire

Is it possible to get a .com or .net or .info or .biz or .org domain name for FREE somehow? If thats not possible, could somebody tell me where to get a domain name that doesn't look free? I mean using a free domain name gives the users a bad impression, so if anyone could tell me a domain name that doesn't look free?

or if anyone can tell me how to get one of those domain names that i mention in the first line for free?

Thank you

A domain isn't something you want to get for free. You want to make sure it is valid and you have the proper ownership of it (which you may not get if you try to use some sort of free service.) You'd be much better off paying for it, and if you use a place like GoDaddy or 1&1, you're only looking at about $8 per year.

One other thing to note -- domains often come free if you pay for hosting, which you will need anyway.

In general, you get what you pay for.

Free hosting isn't always the best way to go - it might be free, but often it comes with advertising and pop-ups and certain limitations. But --- for a while, I used 3ix - I left because of downtime and hacking issues - so I'm just using them for an example - but they do offer hosting for $1 per month AND offer a free domain name. If I needed a 'testing ground' I'd still use them for the price. And I imagine with a little research, you can find similar deals.

• 3 weeks later...

Agree - it's completely pointless getting free domain or even a cheap one from the bargain basement sites. It will severely disadvantage you for search indexing and ranking. I have had first hand experience of this.

You can get a free one for a year with a hosting plan from GreenGeeks, but then you pay for your monthly hosting, as you should.

You can get reputable domain service from Domain Orb for $9.95 or HostGator for $15 with your hosting account. That's for a year and that's cheap enough.

I don't mean to be rude, but if you're not prepared to pay $9.95 for your domain so it can get ranked on search engines, I have to ask what are you intending to do on the Internet? Be professional if you want to get professional results. It's worth doing thing properly if you're going to put effort into building a website.