how to promote websites by using SEO

jessica034

Hi

I am in website development for over a year now. But most of the clients are also asking for promotion of their websites by using SEO. I have no knowledge regarding SEO. Can anybody suggest and help me on this issue. Just can’t give you any address of mine.

I'm working through a Lynda.com course on SEO which I'm finding pretty helpful (http://www.lynda.com/home/DisplayCourse.aspx?lpk2=52344&srchtrk=index%3A1%0Alinktypeid%3A2%0Aq%3Asearch%20engine%0Apage%3A1%0As%3Arelevance%0Asa%3Atrue%0Aproducttypeid%3A4). I personally try to stay away from clients who want more than basic SEO though, partly because I don't think I know enough to authoritatively sell my services, and partly because it is a competative industry and I don't want to promise something that I may not be able to deliver.

SEO can be very simple and yet complicated at the same time. It depends on what your niche is.

Firstly, proper semantics is very important. For example, H1 tags should be used only once and should define what the page is about. Hello or Welcome just really doesn't cut it. Basically you try to use keywords that you think best the describe that page.

Secondly, content. Fresh content. You need content that will be updated from time to time and it has to be relevant to what the site or page is about.

Thirdly, keywords or phrases. I don't mean the meta tags but words that you would think people will search for. For instance, if you are selling computers then a couple of your keywords is 'computer' and 'computers'. It can expand futher with 'PC', 'Mac', etc.

However, the challenging part is that you have a host of competitors that sells computers which will be hard to compete with vendors like buy.com or tigerdirect.com. So what do you do to make yourself stand out without spending a ton of money? Find a niche. You may sell computers but what kind and what brand? Custom? Gaming? What is so unique about the computers you sell? Maybe you prefer to sell in a particular geographical area like your local and surrounding counties or states.

The more competitive the market the more challenging it is to compete. It doesn't mean you won't achieve success. It just means you have to work a little harder and a bit smarter than the other guys.

Lynda.com is a good course and I would recommend you follow it to the letter to get the basic fundementals of SEO. Another good one is GNC Web Creations

The alternative is $$$$. Still, you have to have your web site properly coded to get the maximum benefit.

Edited by newseed

Promoting a site with duplicate content is not worthy. So we should try to promote our site with original and unique content but where you will get original content? You can create it of your own. If you can not do it of your own then lots of programmer, writer and designer are searching jobs in freelancing sites. You can hire one guy from there for your own content making.

Google and other major search engine admin team link unique content for a sites best optimization so always try for original content and left plagiarism or copy paste.

We've provide you with a couple options:

-- get a Lynda.com subscription and watch the SEO series

-- read tutorials on SEO related sites

The best one I've found is the Lynda.com course. Most things I've seen online don't really step you through the process, they just tell you bits and pieces.