The arrow operator

Guest clv

This is no doubt one of those questions that is so basic, no one bothers to explain it in the books.

When reading something like $object->property or $stefan->name; do we read the arrow operator like a possessive apostrophe?

i.e. Stefan's name (the name of Stefan)?

When reading something like $object->property or $stefan->name; do we read the arrow operator like a possessive apostrophe?

i.e. Stefan's name (the name of Stefan)?

I'm not sure there are any specific rules on this, but I suppose you could do that, since you are talking about a variable or function that is associated with a particular object.

It's like in Java Integer.parseNext();

but in PHP we use the arrow so we would do Integer->parseNext();

So what you do is specify the object type, in this case Integer and call the function in that object by the refference -> to call the object member parseNext().

So to formally wrap it up:

It's how PHP let's you reference a member of some class. If there was some class reference stored in the variable $foo and there was a member function 'noWay()' you could call it by writing '$foo->noWay()', it's the namespace separator or object access operator. you use it to reference member data of an object.