When a client is a friend/acquaintance, & won't pay

Guest cgl102770

Guest cgl102770

I have a client who has owed me $200 for about a year. That's not a big amount of money, but they way he's handled the situation isn't the best. I met him through mutual friends, though he's more of an acquaintance...we only hang out about once a year, and that's for some event like a wedding where we have mutual friends. I've emailed him politely about the invoice a couple times, though the only time ive heard from him is when he needed help getting his new droid phone to work with his email that i host. I heard from a mutual friend that they (he, his wife and 2 kids) were having some financial difficulties, but nothing too serious. He's a builder/remodeler so business has been slow due to the economy.

So, it's not so much about the money, as it is that he won't even give me an honest answer the two times I've sent him an invoice...he just ignores that. I've thought about emailing him and telling him my server space is limited so i'll have remove his account if he doesnt pay. What do you all think? What would you all do? Thank you for any feedback!

There are a few good sayings when it comes to business and friends:

Lending/borrowing money to friends are a recipe for disaster. Money kills friendships ( I bet there are thousands of variations for this one ).

The hardest thing is to know when to be a boss and when to be a friend, especially if your friend works for you.

My advice is to put the personal aspects aside, and treat this as if someone completely new did this to you, handle it the same way.

Or you could do a last attempt to fix this, but be firm; Tell him that he needs to contact you as this is in his best interest and the possible future actions that may occur due to his poor attempt and neglect to fix or explain the situation, is entirely and completely on his next actions.. This way you leave the ball at his side, of course with a deadline. If nothing happens just start the standard procedures you utilize in these situations.

Edited by krillz

I live by a golden rule that will put the resposibility back on your own shoulder without blaming the friend/family....

If you plan on loaning money to a friend or family memeber, don't expect it back. Consider it a gift to them. Otherwise, don't do it. This will keep you from being bitter toward those you loan money to or do work for.

Same applies to work for friend/family. If they don't pay you upfront then don't do it and if you do it before being paid consider it a gift and write it off your taxes.

If you plan on loaning money to a friend or family member, don't expect it back. Consider it a gift to them. Otherwise, don't do it. This will keep you from being bitter toward those you loan money to or do work for.

I second this. Money and friendships don't mix all that well, so I always try to go into a project like that with the understanding that I may not get paid (and thus, I avoid large projects or get a decent down payment first.) Obviously it depends on the relationship, but in general I'd say that the friendship is more important than the money involved. However, if someone doesn't pay me, I obviously don't do any additional work for them until the previous project is paid off.

Thankfully, you're only dealing with $200s here, not $1000 or more...