SEO Thoughts

Run this by you... While doing some research for something I was buying I came across a business that did a tricky, yet successful, SEO trick. Say their main domain was say www.donuts.com. This particular business also bought a few hundred other domain names like californiadonuts.com or buydonuts.com or chocolatedonuts.com or donutsinflorida.com etc. In doing so, they completely dominate google. Reason being, if your search term has the same words as the domain the domain comes up first. So basically they bought up all the search terms.

Then they actually had a separate page for all these landings. Then when you go to purchase anything then it redirects to their main domain. Now... I think google doesnt like redirects. You could possibly do a DNS redirect instead. Don't know much about all that though. What are your thoughts? Seems like a pretty sure fire way to be on top. Worked for them. You "could" just redirect imediatly so they never even land on these other pages. However that may confuse people and/or aggravate them as it did me.

Reason being, if your search term has the same words as the domain the domain comes up first.

I wouldn't necessarily say this is true. Search terms in your URL help, but it doesn't guarantee anything, especially if the site simply performs a redirect instead of having any content to spider.

I wouldn't necessarily say it was black SEO -- landing pages like this are pretty common, though maybe not on a huge scale with tens or hundreds of domains. I imagine that could get reasonably pricey after a while if you are talking about hundreds of domains and hosting for each of them. From a SEO perspective, I would think that buying up domains and just having them immediately redirect to your site would do very little for you, since there's no content for Google to spider. You would get links to your site, but with no content, I don't think the links would have very much importance.

However, if each of those domains had quality content (and wasn't simply repeating the content on your main domain, since I believe Google is able to spot duplicate content) and they all had links back to the main site that should have SEO benefits.

I wouldn't necessarily say this is true. Search terms in your URL help, but it doesn't guarantee anything, especially if the site simply performs a redirect instead of having any content to spider.

I wouldn't necessarily say it was black SEO -- landing pages like this are pretty common, though maybe not on a huge scale with tens or hundreds of domains. I imagine that could get reasonably pricey after a while if you are talking about hundreds of domains and hosting for each of them. From a SEO perspective, I would think that buying up domains and just having them immediately redirect to your site would do very little for you, since there's no content for Google to spider. You would get links to your site, but with no content, I don't think the links would have very much importance.

However, if each of those domains had quality content (and wasn't simply repeating the content on your main domain, since I believe Google is able to spot duplicate content) and they all had links back to the main site that should have SEO benefits.

well in this businesses case it did work. If I put in google "donuts in Arizona", their domain would come on first or second page listed as www.arizonadonuts.com. The same would happen for other searches. Their content was a duplicate times a few hundred. So content nor inbound links played a part. It was simply the search term.