First website using php includes - Please Review

sarina28

After experiencing my first issues with php, I'm ready for your critique. The malware issues were from the host's server. I learned alot from that experience though. After watching Stefan's php video on includes, I started to understand php more, but there is alot more I want to learn. I took a class that covered mysql, but I struggled with the instructor's explainations and examples. I will have to watch the other videos from Stefan. Anyways, here is my first php site. I still need to go back and add @ in front of all the includes though.

ww w.musta ngsandmotors ports.c om - remove spaces

• 2 weeks later...

I can understand your concern, but knowng about these issues is also being informed. GoDaddy was attacked my malware, but so does everyone elses server. It happens everyday. This one just got past them, and they corrected it. I've completely cleaned my site, and have not had any issues since. I can understand if that is the reason no wants to look at my site. I could have not have not said anything about the malware issues, but I wanted to share my experience, and keep people informed. This is a place to share ideas, and learn from others mistakes and issues. I hope I'm not being branded here.

Yeah that sucked a lot of sites were affected by the worm. But I think they fixed it last time I read a report regarding the matter.

About the site, well it doesn't fit on my 17" screen so most laptop people will have to be scrolling up down left and right which might be annoying. Also the layout makes me think of some early game communities back in the days. Might be the grey metalic frames.

Edited by krillz

Thanks for your input. My work computer screen is a 13", and I have a little scrolling from right to left. Not enough to be a problem. I'm hesitant to make the layout in percentages to accomidate various screen sizes. I have an issue with images, and I'm not comfortable with how they turn out yet. I have made other sites around 960 px, but they look tiny on some of the bigger screens. Always a work in progress.

I do regret my first post a bit harsh I apologise.So I did visit your site and being the old muscle-car gear head I am I must say I like it! even if it does look a bit like an old school gaming site.I do not like the horizontal scrolling nobody does I think 960px would be a better choice. Good luck!

I should make a test page using em and percentages, and see which one distorts the images the least. I have only done it using ems, and I did not like the results. I read that png images are the best for that. At the time I was using only jpegs.

During my first css class, I was told to make my images slightly bigger when using em. When the screen size was increased, the images were better. However, when the screen size was reduced, the images would have a wrinkled appearance. I tried different sizes, and still could not get what I wanted. I like having control over my images, and appear how I made then in PS. Now I'm torn between making my layouts either 960 or 1027px. I guess I could choose a size in the middle.

How are you sizing the image? You don't have to apply css both to height and width to the images. I would go with width and not use height at all so that when the width of the image increases/decreases then the height will automatically adjust proportionally.

As for the layout size, go with 990px. This will fit screen size as low as 1024 without any horizontal scrollbars.

Edited by newseed

• 1 month later...