Need Help. Easiest Way to Find Div's

morigeau

Hello everyone,

Exactly what I am trying to do is learn how to find div id's within my Web page. I'm using firebug and for the most part it's not terribly difficult to find div id's in the backend because many of them are in the index.php, but there is always that one that no matter what pages I'm looking in I can never find. Basically there are elements within my web page that I am trying to create separate div id's for so that when I style one object it doesn't style 100 other objects the same way because there all in the same div. Any easy way to find div's? Is there a way to read firebug that will point me in the right direction? Anything would be appreciated. Thank you.

Cheers,

David

I'm not totally clear on what you're saying, but if you're using Dreamweaver, you can search your entire site for div id and find them all. Other editors may have this site-search function, too, but I only know DW.

I'm not totally clear on what you're saying, but if you're using Dreamweaver, you can search your entire site for div id and find them all. Other editors may have this site-search function, too, but I only know DW.

=) Thank you! I know I most of what I say is probably very confusing. Sorry =( but yes this is what I am trying to accomplish. I had Dreamweaver open, but I couldn't figure out how to open up my site so that I could inspect the elements like I do in firebug. I will read some articles on how to do this in Dreamweaver now. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.

Cheers,

David

If you have a local copy of your site, open any one page, click Ctrl-F and tell it to scan the CODE of the entire local site for div id. I don't think it works if the site isn't local.

Using Dreamweaver's find function is probably the fastest way to go with this.

You can use Firebug, by:

-- opening a page in your website

-- opening Firebug if it isn't already open

-- typing the id you are looking for into the search bar in the top right of the Firebug window

However, you will have to go through all of the pages in the site manually. Dreamweaver can (assuming that you have all the files downloaded on your local machine) search the entire site all at once.

I would just install firebug plugin for firefox, hit the html mode then select the DIV and se them light up in the browser. And as I assume you are aiming to learn and understand where they are located nested and so forth. I think that is one of the quickest and cheapest ways of accomplishing a good visual effect that you can study.