Ajax Function Variable Query

aleverett

I'm currently following your ajax shopping cart tutorial (great tutorial by the way). I was hoping someone could shed some light on one thing I can't quite understand. It's this bit on Part 8 of the videos: - (ive deleted the code in-between to just show the line i mean)

function handleSearchResults(results)

{

productListXml = results;

var total = results.getElementsByTagName("result").length;

What I don't understand is, what value is held in the variable 'results' which is passed in the function handleSearchResults(results)

The variable productListXml is then assigned the value of 'results' but what value is this? And how does it get this value?

thanks

I haven't done the tutorials but it looks to me the variable "results" that's passed to the function is an XML DOM object:

This line gives it away, as you can only perform this method (getElementsByTagName) on a DOM object.

Thanks for that!

I haven't done the tutorials but it looks to me the variable "results" that's passed to the function is an XML DOM object:

This line gives it away, as you can only perform this method (getElementsByTagName) on a DOM object.