white borders?

rande

Tabular data is what you'd find in a spreadsheet. --- Data in Tables.

For CSS positioning, you create divisions in the HTML and use the CSS to tell them where and how to appear. Here is a basic example of a basic 2-column layout: http://www.csstutori...ayout-with-css/ and this is for a 3-column layout: http://www.csstutori...-column-layout/

That looks good I'll go thru it all. I should have done that from the beginning but I concentrated on the code and got tired of it and thought I would by-pass it all and rely on the CSS.

thanks

I told them I got responses from website designers and we can keep tweaking it if they want

so we'll see how it goes. The older owner might be approving it so we'll see where

his tastes lies.

I find with older owners, they really dont know what they want for these types of things. It may be risky on your part, but just go ahead a do the site the way you want, with their content. If its 100% better than what is currently up (which really wouldnt take you much time) he'll be impressed.

They honestly don't know what it CAN look like until you show them. I say this is risky because your going to spend some time creating something nice that they haven't given the go ahead for.

When i was first got into designing sites (10 years ago) I looked at a lot local websites. I picked 2 of the absolute worst sites i could find, and I re-did them without even contacting the owners. I did them for free to help get a portfolio going and go gain he experience. (I think one of them actually 'tipped' me $500 for my efforts. I made him donate it to the SPCA). All im saying, is they probably dont really know what they want until you show them what it could be.

Unsliced bread was good enough until someone showed it could be sliced.

Yes I thought I would. U just needed to get him off my back for now.

I'm not a big designer but I'll see what I can do.

I would like to put a slideshow and/flash in. I might have got it to work at one point

but I think without knowing the codes or script I couldn't get it just right. But that's

what I want to work on. Any advice for that or the site I'm working on now?

It's going to be a total re-do it looks like. The daughter is involve over riding everyone else.

We were wondering about copy rights and the samples that we're using. Are there some legal

issues we need to be concerned with?

Yes there are legal issues - generally, assume EVERYTHING is copyrighted - unless you took the photo yourself or paid for it. And even if you paid, you need to read the license associated with the purchased image.

What kind of samples are you talking about? And what names?

The main concern with copyright is not to infringe on someone elses. I thought we had a thread around here that kind of explained things but I couldn't find it just now.

Your site is automatically copywritten/copy protected when it goes online. Ultimately, if the company is large, you might consider getting the logo trademarked, but that probably isn't necessary.

In regards to samples... I'm assuming you are talking about printed samples, like the photos of work you have up on the site. Does the printing company have any agreement with the companies it has done work for that allows them to show samples of their printing pieces? If not, getting their permission may be a good idea. If the photos were taking specifically for the printing company (rather than borrowed from elsewhere online) you shouldn't need to get permission for that.

what the best way to get your site at the top of the search engine? Is Google Ad Sense a good thing to use?

Ah, the question that everyone asks.

You'll probably get different answers depending who you ask and where you go online to look. My personal view is that this is done through providing fresh, quality content that visitors want to view and that shows you are an authority in your particular field, and focusing that content in such a way that it includes the keywords that people are searching for. Make sure that you remove any restrictions that might prevent search engines from ranking your site (for example, make sure you are using valid code, that search engines can see your content (rather than pulling content in dynamically through AJAX, etc.)) Also, focus on getting links back to your website, and also aiming for specific search terms ("business card printing in Sacramento") rather than general terms that are hard to rank for ("printing").

I don't know all that much about AdWords... obviously, if you can promote your site organically without having to pay out for ads, that's ideal. It also depends on the keywords you are targeting. I imagine the costs involved for trying to get an ad that will appear on a very general search page (again, "printing" for example) are significant.

I was surprised to find that I was in 2nd place on the 1st page and 4th place on 2nd page on Google, according to the keywords entered. I must say that the site has been totally static and almost unused and has no backlinks, but has been in existence for almost 5 years with a few updates about once a year. So imagine my surprise to find out how well I ranked on Google.

Of course, this site is not in a competitive market and would only be found by people punching in those 2/3 keywords, but still, a couple of years back this site was nowhere to be found on Google even with the same keywords. So I guess longevity is also a huge factor in SEO.

Experts in this matter, please feel free to correct me. :rolleyes:

Edited by virtual