white borders?

rande

Tables really should not be used for layout - they are for tabular data, and for layout, you should be using CSS Positioning.

To get rid of the borders, set your table borders to zero- right now, they are at 1.

<body>
<table width="1024" border="1">
<tr>

(that's just one example)

Thanks for the response.

I couldn't find any help on the other site.

Isn't this a place to get help? or is this just for

professionals?

I got rid of the white lines now my fonts aren't carrying

over to the site. It's working on one page and I'm trying to

analyze that now. Any help for me on that? Just in general where to

start?

I meant this place - it's for whoever has questions or problems. We're usually pretty good with helping people solve their problems.

Which fonts aren't working on which part?

I have the service page that, in Dreamweaver is showing times but everything I see is showing its set up for futura.

when I up load it, its futura which is what I want.

I other pages show futura in Dreamweaver but when upload show times.

everything I'm seeing in Dreamweaver is futura. If I search for times in the code I'm not finding it.

I kind of pieced this all together with templates and such so something may be in there messing it up.

I'm comparing the two pages and I see nothing different.

First of all, don't trust Dreamweaver's preview -- it's a guideline only. It isn't always accurate, especially when rendering CSS. Older versions of Dreamweaver are especially bad, though recent versions have improved in this area. If you want to see how it looks, check a web browser.

In regards to the font issue, you'll probably need to post both your HTML and your CSS in order for us to see what is wrong.

Thanks for the response.

I might be able to live with fonts, but would like to know how to fix that.

I see a couple of other things on my Prepress page the type is centering.

Which would be fine but maybe elastic would be better. What the script to change just that

copy block?

And here at the shop I'm having problems with the FTP site connection.

My Mac opens fine but 3 PCs with explorer won't work, but our new machine works. Any code to

fix that?

Are the fonts for the entire site/page supposed to be the same, or do you want specific parts in different fonts?

everything should be futura.

On my service page on one of the PC the logo is crowding down into everything.

Not on the other Mac or PC

everything should be futura.

Keep in mind that 'futura' is not a web safe font. Meaning that there is a good chance that the average user will not have that font on their computer thus it will render whatever the browser's default font has been set to

Browsers can only display a font that's installed on the specific machine. If they don't have it, they'll use whatever they deem 'the next best font'. You might want to do a search for some more common fonts and use some of them.

Also, when you specify several fonts to be used, what you're saying is - for example:

body {font-family: Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;}

'Display Geneva, if that's not available, use Arial, if that's not there, either, go with Helvetica, and if you don't have that, then just display whatever sans-serif font you have."

You're just specifying variations of the same font, which doesn't make any sense, as if Futura isn't installed, then Futura Light probably isn't, either.

And, when you specify fonts, those that consist of more than one word need to be surrounded by quotes - like so:

font-family: Baskerville, Garamond, Palatino, "Palatino Linotype", "Hoefler Text", "Times New Roman", serif;

Overall, your code is quite a mess. Your style names don't show what they belong to, which makes things very difficult; your table code is all jumbled up (tr tags do NOT go inside td tags); the font tag is deprecated, you're spanning empty tags, and a few other issues.

Yes, I'm seeing that now. That's why we can live with that.

What is the safest?

thanks

This is a good source to help you determine the best font solution which will allow you to set the order of your font family so that both PC and Mac get the correct fonts rendered.

Windows/Mac Fonts

While I have your attention, I like to make a few observation about the site design.

1. Logo: The business address really doesn't justify the nice logo design. Either redo the font to have to blend in better with the logo or remove it. You can always add your address to the footer or either left/right side columns.

2. The 'Commerical Printing..." again does not justily the logo. It actually makes the site 90ish. Sometimes trying to do too much with a graphic can kill the overall design.

3. Left column: Map. Not sure what you can do but it really doesn't look well there. Maybe simplify the map to be just a text link stating "Our Location" and link it to your contact page with a google map embedded.

4. Right Column: The three images really just doesn't look good. History image color is a mismatch and the other two have border overkill. Doing something like you did on the left column is the way to go which is very good by the way.

You have to remember that whatever design works in the printing business will not always work for a website.

Edited by newseed

Yes, I know its a mess just making a simple site for the company. I took classes on code

but gave up on it. I'm not going to be a developer.

With what I have now, font and codes, will this work?

thanks

for the in put

In addition to my last post, I found that when I looked further into your site pages that it is really a mess visually. The odds are is that people will be turned off because of the difficulty in reading the font.

I would suggest you look at some good printing companies' websites as examples of how their site looks. Pay close attention to fonts used and the consistancy.

thanks again for the input. They seem to like it. It matches a poster they did.

They like all the black, for now. They didn't mind a lot of what you pointed out.

I think its a little cheesy but if they like it we'll go with it for now, and if they

want something different they can get a pro, work out all the codes.I just started with templates

and started deleting and adding boxes. I still don't get the whole thing. I might keep working on it

and smoothing it out as we go, but they want something right now; last week some I'm getting them this.

Thanks again for the input. They haven't seen the final yet they may want to do something else.

They're going off the last one someone made for them; that's making this one look good.

I guess that depends on how you define 'OK".

The site does look very 90s and amateurish - and just because it may be better than what they had, doesn't mean it creates a positive, professional presentation for the company. I'd think it would be in this printing shop's best interest if you shared the opinions of some webdesigners. Also, the huge image on the front page takes way too long to load, and I know some of the points Newseed made up there were already mentioned to you when you were here for help with this site a few months back.

Not sure where you read that all code has to be in one row. It doesn't. As a matter of fact, code that is in one row is one HUGE PITA to work with. The mess you have is due to improper use and placement of tags, not due to how many rows you use.

The site does look very 90s and amateurish - and just because it may be better than what they had, doesn't mean it creates a positive, professional presentation for the company. I'd think it would be in this printing shop's best interest if you shared the opinions of some webdesigners. Also, the huge image on the front page takes way too long to load, and I know some of the points Newseed made up there were already mentioned to you when you were here for help with this site a few months back.

I hate to say it, but I have to agree. If I visited this site (I was looking for a printer just recently) I wouldn't call them -- the site looks dated and doesn't feel professional.

However, I think it could be a lot better with some minor changes, some of which others have already discussed. I think the main one for me is consistency -- the layout of different pages is inconsistent (some are left aligned, some are center aligned, the header changes between pages, etc). Working on the consistency a bit will definitely help the site feel more professional. The different pages in the site need to feel like they belong together.

Sorry, I just meant organized not all in a row.

They didn't want to do anything with a site months ago. It had nothing to do with the look.

I have shared the comments. I've showed them other sites with lots of black, at the moment they're okay with it.

They even like it. Go figure. It was my first attempt. I hadn't done anything after you guys ripped it up.

They all of a sudden dropped in and said they want it right now in two days.

I hope we can have more time and tweak it some more. I'm not doing anything with the code, I'm just trying to build

it like I would in Indesign. I've looked at the others and some are impressive with all the bells and whistles and some are very

plan. They figure we're a printing company "colors-colors-colors" and they like it; here's our big press. Send us your files. Not a lot

of real intricate techncial info to read over. They like their logo, they want it in there. But we'll see they're all involved now.

Is there money to be made in web design?

Thanks again for the help.

I'm not doing anything with the code, I'm just trying to build

it like I would in Indesign.

As you are finding, that has the potential to cause issues. You can't really treat web design in the same way as you would do a layout in InDesign, since you have to deal with functionality, issues with consistency in different browsers, etc.

Is there money to be made in web design?

Depends on the person's skill level, the amount of effort they put into learning/keeping up with advancements in the web design industry, and where they live (to some extent -- if you live in a big city I imagine it's easier to find work than if you live "in the middle of nowhere" where the internet has less impact on people's lives.) Personally, I've found it's pretty profitable. If the web designer is good at what they do, they should be able to find consistent income.

The best way is to start with the basics -- HTML and CSS, and learn the code itself, not have Dreamweaver do everything for you (http://killersites.com/web-design/). As I said above, you really can't approach web design in the same way you would approach a print project. It is really important to be able to understand the code, since what happens when Dreamweaver doesn't do what you want it to? If you only understand what goes on in the design preview window, not the underlying code, you'll be stuck. Once you have worked with HTML/CSS a while, then you can move on to additional languages that provide functionality that HTML/CSS doesn't offer, like Javascript and PHP.

For web design, the tools you use doesn't matter as much as the skill you have with them. You could create a great site with just Notepad and a free graphics program if you knew what you were doing -- using expensive programs like Dreamweaver or Photoshop doesn't guarantee any better results (though it probably does speed up your work).

Is this something I could get a handle on myself or are classes a good idea? I understand everyones different; what the best way to go.

I took classes on lynda.com for awhile but not knowing anything about it, it seemed like it was jumping around. Not starting or finishing.

I might try that again though.

Are most of you working at companies, from home or have your own thing going on?

Is this something I could get a handle on myself or are classes a good idea?

Depends how you learn. I don't personally learn that well from classes -- I keep up and do the work, but I sometimes will finish the course without feeling like I could do what I learned in the class on my own. Personal experimentation/projects and following along with video tutorials work best for me.

99% of my income is from web design. I freelance full time, but I have two semi-steady companies I work for that earn me a majority of my income. Probably 70% is consistent, contract based work, and the rest is freelance stuff I do on the side for whoever happens to need work.

A lot of the other regulars here do professional web design as well -- some full time, some part time/freelance.

Tables really should not be used for layout - they are for tabular data, and for layout, you should be using CSS Positioning.

To get rid of the borders, set your table borders to zero- right now, they are at 1.

<body>
<table width="1024" border="1">
<tr>

(that's just one example)

I thought I was working in the layout. Whats tabular and CSS positioning?