Can't open my website

Ketta33

Hello,

I really need some help. I'm very interested in becoming a web designer and I found this wonderful helpful site. I will be going to college to in web designing and I wanted some experience in so I won't fail.

Anyways, I'm having a hard time a simple task. For the life of my I can't open myCSSwebsite folder to look at the progress I made. Why? I did follow the instruction by naming the folder myCSSwebsite, also in that same folder is the CSS folder. Why can't I open it in a browser?

Please help me

Ketta

Assuming you are using Windows... By default, Windows hides the file extension, so it's possible that the file that you think is called "practiceHTML.html" is actually "practiceHTML.html.txt". To check this:

-- Open up the folder that includes practiceHTML.html in your file browser

-- Go up to Tools > Folder Options

-- Select the "view" tab

-- Make sure the "hide file extensions for known file types" is unchecked

-- Click "OK" to save any changes

Let me know if that fixes it. If you do have that checkbox checked, make sure to uncheck it, and then check your "practiceHTML.html" file again. Make sure that the file extension is .html, not .html.txt.

Ah. Windows 7 is slightly different -- whoever designed the file browser hid the file menu by default. Updated instructions:

-- press the alt key on your keyboard -- the File menu bar should appear in the file browser window

-- Select the "view" tab

Ah. Windows 7 is slightly different -- whoever designed the file browser hid the file menu by default. Updated instructions:

-- press the alt key on your keyboard -- the File menu bar should appear in the file browser window

-- Select the "view" tab

That worked! Thanks! But I still could not open that file in a browser. It keeps opening up in Notepad.

And you've double check that the "hide file extensions for known file types" is unchecked? And the file itself ends in .html, not .html.txt?

The only other thing I can think of is that perhaps your computer is set up to open .html files in Notepad for some reason. If so, either you can always right click on .html files, select "open with" and select your browser, or you can change the file associations like this: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/ht/default-program-windows-7.htm

And you've double check that the "hide file extensions for known file types" is unchecked? And the file itself ends in .html, not .html.txt?

The only other thing I can think of is that perhaps your computer is set up to open .html files in Notepad for some reason. If so, either you can always right click on .html files, select "open with" and select your browser, or you can change the file associations like this: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/ht/default-program-windows-7.htm

Yes I made sure to uncheck the "hide file extensions for known file types". Thanks for all you help and patience :)

• 10 months later...

I did as instructed. I am using windows and after unchecking the checked box I saved and discorvered that my practice folder does indeed have the .html extension and not the html.txt

The css file in question is named root.css.txt

I will double check all of my file names as instructed.

thanks