Hiring a Developer on a Per Project Basis

I'm a great fan of this website and I've found a lot of helpful information here. I have a dilemma and this was the first place I thought to ask…

I need to hire a web developer on a contract (per project) basis. How do I make sure this contractor doesn’t go behind me and try to steal business? I can't see any way of keeping customer contact information from them when they are working on a site with me. I know there are a lot of people doing this, how are they protecting themselves and their business? I am sure someone here has the answer and I really appreciate your help. :)

Thanks much,

Jen

There is no guarantee that someone would not steal your clients. You have to build a relationship with the person you are working with to see if you can trust them with vital information.

There are a couple things I would suggest (short list):

1.When you hire someone to do work, limit their access to small jobs such as updates/fixes.

2.Provide ftp access that is restricted to related folders that the contractor needs to complete his job.

3.Provide and have him sign a binding contract that states something about non-compete and that all information that the contractor receives must be subjected to privacy terms.

Once you are able to trust him/her with the small stuff you can then give them bigger jobs and a little more access.

What you should do when you use a contractor (short list):

1.Pay on time.

2.Don't micro-manage.

3.Don't treat him like garbage when he/she makes a mistake. No one is perfect.

Red Flags (short list):

1. Does not finish in a timely manner.

2. Unavailable for more than one day unless you were notified in advance. This shows if the contractor is doing web work for a living or not.

3. Argumentive.

4. Does not provide good accurate time and brief details for work that has been done.

It's possible to work with contractors and never meet them in person and still be successful. I have very good relationships with two businesses for over 2 years now and not one complaint. Trust factor was never an issue.

The list is short and so I welcome everyone else to add to it.

Edited by newseed

Thanks Newseed, I've worked with someone very trustworthy for over two years now, but lately I think his priorities are elsewhere. Unfortunately he is slow to finish, missing deadlines and not as available as he was before. I always pay on time and I am not a micro-manager... I am a little too non-confrontational actually.

I will keep your advice in mind, I appreciate your help. :)

You may want to have a conference with him and find out why things have change on his end. Maybe he has family issues or priorities. Maybe he has so much work that he gives priority attention to those that pay him more.

Keep in mind that times are tough economically for some people and so it's possible he could have taken a full time job.

In any case, I think it would an honorable thing to talk to him about it and try to determine if there is a problem or not. Sometimes issues can be solved if you were able to understand what the problme is.

in one hour you could code a nice little cms that allows your client to post feedback and your contract developer to respond.. that way you can minimize the risk of them starting to talk and eventuelly fading you out of the picture completely.

Hey you just gave me a business idea.. you get contractors and you get clients and they do what they want and develop, payment is done, I take a chunk of it and a salery is paid to the developer.. hmm needs some fine tuning but this could be good.

I'll take your advice and give the new contractor some small things to do and then see how that goes. I do agree that something may be wrong with my current contractor, however, if he won't talk to me and it continues to hurt my business (i.e. 2.5 weeks late on a project) then I have to try someone else.

Thanks much.

I'll take your advice and give the new contractor some small things to do and then see how that goes. I do agree that something may be wrong with my current contractor, however, if he won't talk to me and it continues to hurt my business (i.e. 2.5 weeks late on a project) then I have to try someone else.

You will find several regulars right here on this forum that can be hired. Some of us have been around very long time.

If any contractor hurts your business then it's time to find another. When you find a good one, lock'em in and pay them well.

Hey you just gave me a business idea.. you get contractors and you get clients and they do what they want and develop, payment is done, I take a chunk of it and a salery is paid to the developer.. hmm needs some fine tuning but this could be good.

This is already being done...

guru.com

elance.com

designquote.new

...to name a few.

Thanks much.

I had an issue like that recently. The contractor was over a month late and my client was becoming increasingly frustrated and angry. We were so deep in the project that I couldn't really hire someone else without having to start all over again, too. Very frustrating!

I do some contract work for a graphic designer (mostly coding and cms integration of her PSDs) and I have hired a few of the regulars here at Killersites for my overflow work. I've not had a problem with any of them here. Let us know if we can help! :)