Shopping Carts

ferni5

I am new to Web Designing and had a question about shopping carts. I was wondering what Shopping Carts do you recommend learning for someone like me (newbie). I've taken a look at the wordpress plug-in but it seems a bit limited. There are open source carts like oscommerce and zencart. Do you recommend these open source carts?

Hi,

We have a different angle about our shopping cart, we actually teach you how to build it. So while you get a functional shopping cart, you also get the training that will allow to build your own shopping cart and expand it.

... We use PHP.

And yes, you get all the source code with it.

Stefan

• 3 months later...

Hi,

We have a different angle about our shopping cart, we actually teach you how to build it. So while you get a functional shopping cart, you also get the training that will allow to build your own shopping cart and expand it.

... We use PHP.

And yes, you get all the source code with it.

Stefan

Hi Stefan,

First, THANKS for establishing all things Killer on the web! I've learned a lot. So, about shopping carts; I'm interested in purchasing your shopping cart vids. However, I'm curious to know IF it includes a section on how to construct using Mysql as opposed to XML so that I can use with databases. I like XML as a good means to structure data, but I'm wondering if yourself or Jon will offer (and post) a database solution as well. By the time you read this, I'll likely have purchased your vid, but I'm interested in your thoughts on this. THANKS!

symuncez

Stefan may be able to fill you in on this more, but the video -- as far as I know -- only deals with using XML, not MySQL. A good chunk of the code would have to be rewritten to support MySQL, although the foundation will be in place.

I appreciate the rapid response! I find myself a little surprised at the absence of a shopping cart solution from Killer that works with databases, given the synergy between php and mysql and all the related videos on the killer site.

Now I'm even more interested in Stefan's response. Thanks!

symuncez

Hi,

We purposefully used an XML backend for the cart because that's what we needed for our own store!

:)

If your store will have relatively few skews, then the need for a MySQL database is limited. XML based in more easily ported and not subject to SQL injection attacks.

That said, to replace the XML component with a MySQL component shouldn't be that hard to do since all you would need to do is change the way the data access functions work. If you don't know MySQL and PHP then you would need the help of our crud tutorials. The best bang for your buck would be The Complete Web Programmer course - it contains everything you need.

Stefan