Web site promotion

williamrouse

My client problem is that when you search his name, negative press comes up from many years back as the number 1 entry. I informed the individual that I could not do anything about removing that entry, but I could try to promote his current site so that it might become the number one entry. I have managed to get Google to start to list his site however it is still way down on the list as opposed to not on the Google search result. My next attempt would be to create a secondary site with reflective links, since it is my understanding that links play a measure in prioritizing search listing status. Are there any other strategies I should research?

My next attempt would be to create a secondary site with reflective links, since it is my understanding that links play a measure in prioritizing search listing status.

That is spamming the search engines and they do not like it much. It COULD happen that it makes things worse and hurts the ranking of both sites. You want outside links yes, but those should come from sites not related to the person and best linking to articles etc. written by the person. Respected sites in the same area of interest as his site should link to it. Also fresh content like a blog or at least reasonable fresh content, ie. new pages help.

You could also do a link building campaign. Submit the website to directories. Directories are a great way to get free links pointing back to your website. If for example you owned a web design website do a google search for web design directories.

You could also do a link building campaign. Submit the website to directories. Directories are a great way to get free links pointing back to your website. If for example you owned a web design website do a google search for web design directories.

Google doesn't like linkfarms very much ;)

What you could do is create a weblog on a free blogprovider OR create a weblog on a 'new!' domain. On that domain you will start blogging frequently (with relevant information of course) and you post relevant links to relevant parts of the 'old' website (or original domain :)).

I also suggest (if you have not done that yet :)) to optimize your old website to valid and semantic (x)html. Most of the time only this change can get you a couple +positions in Google. And does the website have SE-friendly URL's?

Another thing, maybe you can create an account in Google Webmastertools, where you should upload a sitemap of your customers website.

All these things CAN help you slidely to reach the #1 position of your customers website, success NOT garantueed of course, but this is what I should do :)

Good luck!

Edit: And maybe exchange links with partners or whatever people your website is working with? Just an idea :)

Edited by Bram Wenting