Javascript & Apple Macs..?

arcon

I'm an animator by trade & have recently tought myself the basics of html & css, my website is functioning with flash movies using AC_RunActiveContent.js. It works great on all PC platforms I've tested it on, whether in IE, firefox, chrome or safari.

However I've just had some new advertising clients look at the site & complain that the movies don't load... they're using Safari on Apple platform, but I don't know any more specifics than that. I wasn't aware of anything else I needed to do to ensure compatibility with Macs but is this likely to even be the problem...?

It could be Javascript security issue with Safari ... it is hard to say though without testing.

I would first see if you can reproduce the problem; that means getting someone else with a Mac and try it.

Another example btw, where learning Javascript can come in handy ... even with basic web design.

Stefan

I can test for you on Intel Mac G5 and MacBook Pro. I use Flash for virtual tours with AC_RunActiveContent.js and the only problem I know of is with the iPhone and the iPad which won't show Flash.

Edited by virtual

The problem is not with Flash in Safari or Firefox which shows the same thing. The problem is with the way your site is coded. In IE on a PC too you have major problems.

1 - The navigation is halfway down the page and is covered by the Flash animation which is visible on some pages.

2 - You are using a liquid layout which is not the easiest way to start for a novice.

3 - Flash is hiding behind this

#portfolio_bg {
-moz-background-clip:border;
-moz-background-inline-policy:continuous;
-moz-background-origin:padding;
background:transparent url(../img/portfolio_bg.gif) repeat scroll 0 0;
height:80%;
margin:0;
padding:0;
position:absolute;
top:101px;
width:572px;
z-index:1;
}

Portfolio_bg.gif is a black picture with a z-index of 1 and it is covering the flash, if you remove the z-index the Flash appears, but the navigation is still covering it.

You will need to go back and rework the way you have written your html and css.

thanks for your reply - i will rework the code a bit but i'm not sure there's much point - it seems its impossible for me to test the site if i can't see the glitches... it works fine on all browsers i have including IE...? what version of IE did you test with on a PC...?

On the PC running XP Home I tested in

Firefox, Chrome, Safari, IE8, IE7, IE6. The Flash is there but depending on the screen resolution and the size of the browser window the menu bar cover the links on the right and part of the Flash. This is because you have chosen an unusual place to put your menu and your layout is liquid. You cannot assume that everyone has the same screen resolution or is viewing the browser at full screen or has not zoomed in.

On the MAC the z-index issue is covering your Flash completely and the menu bar problem as mentioned above persists.

I suggest you move the menu to the top and remove the z-index on #portfolio_bg. Let me know when you have done that and I'll look at it again. :)

I suggest you move the menu to the top and remove the z-index on #portfolio_bg. Let me know when you have done that and I'll look at it again. :)

ok i've removed the z-index reference from the css, would be keen to find out if the flash shows on macs :) i'm working on updating the layout to avoid the content clipping problems that are on some pages, but will keep the combination fixed-liquid layout... just don't like purely fixed at all. as you said moving menu bar to the top is an option which i'll investigate.

thanks for your feedback so far :)