Starting a personal/journal site

So first off i'm sorry cuz despite my searching i didn't see my answer on this site and got a lot of trash info from the Google sifting.

Now then. I'm tired of it. I just don't use all these stupid sites enough to give a crap. I wanna get a more centralized setup. I have been paying for a .com for a few years without using it. I was also thinking of starting a LiveJournal account, but then realized I don't want another site. I wanna centralize my online storage and my postings.

I have:

a .com and plenty of webspace

a decent knowledge of html/css (thanks mostly to you guys) and find i can get answers on how to implement most things pretty easily from searching forums

I want:

To have a journal, sortable by date or something so it just shows the last 1 or few. Don't want it to be the entire site, but it will be the main point.

Ability to customize (css, obviously my preference)

I'd like to be able to put my 'event' plans on a calendar.

I want to post many of my photos and arts but I don't really wanna have to move every single one of them. Anyone know if I can easily put little frames with my facebook or deviantart albums?

I'd like to post my lists from MyAnimeList.net

I plan to put up 'quilts' from last.fm and librarything.com but would love to make them match with other list if possible.

What I require:

someone to take this stupid cat away. not really relevant tho.

anyway, I'm planning on spending forever just throwing a site together so whatever advice i get whenever it comes is truly appreciated. I will worry about making it perfect later, for now I want to incorporate as many things as i can into it.

wordpress seems awesome. i, of course, managed to break it the second i finished installing it.

Still not sure i can implement everything i want to, but i'll try.

I know that frames are dead and we should be using <div>s but i don't know how to put a piece of another site ino <div>s

Edited by AndaleTheGreat

jusr cuz WP has proven to be awesome i wanted to ask if there's any other... let's call 'em "indirectly edited" site software

Not sure what do you mean by "let's call 'em "indirectly edited" site software" but instead of Wordpress you can try Blogger or Textpattern.