My image disappears in IE

gunsock

Hi All

I suspect this is an old chestnut. I'm changing all the pages on my site to the 3 col CSS 'holy grail'as in Matthew James Taylor's page at:

http://matthewjamestaylor.com/blog/ultimate-3-column-holy-grail-pixels.htm

Its fine in FF but in IE my image disappears.

This page is typical:

http://hollywoodsgoldenage.com/movies/42street.html

I've spent hours searching and googling and I gather its the float:left property which causes the problem. But so far I've not been able to find an answer. Is there a simple solution to this?

Many thanks. :)

Chris/gunsock

Well, I'm not exactly sure whats going on there. But, a quick trip through the validator shows 85 errors.

Cleaning those up would be a good place to start.

And just giving a glance over your source code, you really need to use the p tags to separate your paragraphs instead of

. In fact right after the first block of text you have two closing p tags but not a single one open before them.

Hi All

I suspect this is an old chestnut. I'm changing all the pages on my site to the 3 col CSS 'holy grail'as in Matthew James Taylor's page at:

http://matthewjamestaylor.com/blog/ultimate-3-column-holy-grail-pixels.htm

Its fine in FF but in IE my image disappears.

This page is typical:

http://hollywoodsgoldenage.com/movies/42street.html

I've spent hours searching and googling and I gather its the float:left property which causes the problem. But so far I've not been able to find an answer. Is there a simple solution to this?

Many thanks. :)

Chris/gunsock

haslyout issue! Add this...

Well, I'm not exactly sure whats going on there. But, a quick trip through the validator shows 85 errors.

Cleaning those up would be a good place to start.

And just giving a glance over your source code, you really need to use the p tags to separate your paragraphs instead of

. In fact right after the first block of text you have two closing p tags but not a single one open before them.

Thanks JBall, the 2 closing p tags were left over from my frenzied efforts to use p {float:left and I forgot to delete them.

85 errors? Wow, I've got some work to do, starting now.

Many thanks for your helpful comments.

Chris/gunsock

I just looked at your page briefly, not the code, just the page in Firefox. It doesn't look so good. The text runs all the way over to the right edge of the screen, the ad boxes cover part of it, and at least the last letter (or more?) in each line is not even visible any more.

And after writing this, I did look at the code ---- OUCH!

Start with a proper doctype (HTML 4.01 STRICT - including the link to W3S - like so

and take it from there.

We're here to help if you have questions.

Yes, I jumped the gun with my celebrations earlier, I was so delighted to have recovered my images in IE that I neglected to check how everything looked in FF - and of course, as you rightly point out Thelma - half the page had lurched to the right.

When I put in the doc type declaration, everything magically resolved itself, without me having to change anything else. My pics now show up in IE and all looks OK in FF. I am just amazed that the declaration is so important. I had no idea.

Another lesson learned.

Thank you so much, Thelma. I'm very appreciative of your help.

Must go now, I've got 85 errors to check out! :D

Cheers,

Chris/gunsock

Yes, I jumped the gun with my celebrations earlier, I was so delighted to have recovered my images in IE that I neglected to check how everything looked in FF - and of course, as you rightly point out Thelma - half the page had lurched to the right.

When I put in the doc type declaration, everything magically resolved itself, without me having to change anything else. My pics now show up in IE and all looks OK in FF. I am just amazed that the declaration is so important. I had no idea.

Another lesson learned.

Thank you so much, Thelma. I'm very appreciative of your help.

Must go now, I've got 85 errors to check out! :D

Cheers,

Chris/gunsock

I neglected to look at it in FX with that fix. I see your good anyway. But, in the future, "when" (not if) you have a "haslayout" issue. You can "usually" safely add either of these to fix IE.

IE7 min-height:0;

IE6 height:1%;