Best All in One Security?

Susie

Can anyone recommend a good all in one security suite? My Mom & Dad just got their laptop back from the "doctor" and they are asking me to recommend a security suite. I use Norton 360 with no problems, but my computer is fairly large. I don't know if their laptop could handle it.

I have a totally non-conventional method but it is rock solid and makes using my PC (I use both Mac and PC) a dream.

I use VMWare Workstation to create virtual machines in Windows ... so I have several virtual installs of Windows.

Let me try to explain:

Each 'virtual install' of Windows, is basically just Windows installed in a protected sandbox that totally isolates it from the rest of the computer.

I have several virtual machines/Windows XP's with each having a purpose. So for example, I have one just for surfing the Web and email - if for some reason one day I pick up a virus, all I have to do is tell the virtual machine to erase everything and go back to where it was when I first installed that virtual machine/Windows .. virus free.

... This takes a click of a button and about 5 seconds to complete.

I know it seems complex but it is really the future of computing because using virtual machines makes life so much easier. I personally use it for application testing and screen capture work.

Stefan

When you erase everything in one virtual machine, do you lose all data like emails or files?

Yes. But you can back up your email data and files before you rollback the virtual machine. This sort of rollback is not a daily thing ... just something to do when you have a virus or something major.

Virtual machines go way, way beyond self-contained tabs ... In the last 10 years, the two best pieces of software I have used are:

- Mac OS X

- VMWare Workstation

Stefan

I'm so glad I'm a MAC, I don't have to bother with all that. That being said, when using the PC side or my old testing PC I use AVG and have for many years and never had a problem.

Sorry to burst your bubble but just because you're on a *nix based system doesn't mean your imune and untouchable. So don't demolish the high walls yet, as they are still needed.