Career switch form marketing to software development

Lexxisriennnl

Question

Hi all! 

I've been thinking about this for a couple of years (you know when you're bored with your current job and routine) but haven't decided anything. 
I'd like to start a new career in software development instead of my current niche - marketing. Has anyone tried the same? Was it too difficult? From the range of technologies I'm interested in front-end, so in need of the programming languages to start with (I'm accustomed a little bit to java and that's all). 
Just let me know that it's not completely insane for a marketer to touch the development world. 😀
I know that the very new niche may be hard to dive into at the very beginning, however, any tips from those who tried this already, will be very helpful.

2 answers to this question

Hi,

i made the same transition - so maybe i can share with you some thoughts.

I was in the field of Online Marketing and that's why i had some touching points with technology (but not programming) before. Today i think you can make a transition from any field to programming because the world of IT is very open and the demand is there.

But People with background in Marketing can benefit the most in IT. The Software we write has to be sold (to a customer or to a User), you have to pitch your idea to a decider for your Project (Marketing), as a Developer you have to market yourself (in a Company or as a Freelancer). As you can see, Knowledge about Marketing is very useful, because we want to code for cash.

The learning path is not different from people from other industries. Learn the basics and start to write Code. Stay in your field/job until you wrote your first progams. Then kick-start your career as a Developer.

I also think programming and Marketing is a very good combo, as Stef said.

You can start to create a website for a product you like and use your marketing knowlegde for the content and UX. This can be a good playground to learn the skills :).

Regards and all the best,

Daniel

Edited by S1m0
Edit