Need Project Document Download Utility

newseed

I need to find a stand alone open source barebone file document utility software.

Scenario:

Client post a new project (Project 4009) via web. It includes a summary of the project and downloadable pdf file(s).

Client sends a blanket email to prospecting bidders that has the url and login info for the specified project.

Bidders will then visit the provided url. They will see a list of new and old projects (see below)

Project 4009 (new)

Project 3887 (open)

Project 3768 (pending)

Project 3704 (closed)

...and so one

The bidders will then click on the new project and see the summary of the job along with a unique password protected link to the pdf file(s). If the bidders decides to bid on that project then they will need to use the provided login info that they received in their email from the client.

I need something that is simplified and yet effective. Keep in mind that their pdf files are 20mb or larger and so it will require them to upload the files via FTP in which they understand.

So I don't not need a file uploader for the utility that I am looking for but it does need to have the capability of linking to pdf files that were FTPed and password protect each one of them with their own unique password.

I have search the net but I am just not having any luck in finding a opensource solution. I don't want to use Joomla, Drupal, etc which is why I stated that I need a stand alone software.

Any suggestions will most appreciated.

The first 3 I would look into (though may be you already did) - basecamp, google(doc and all that goodness) and dropbox.

If those cant help, I can look in my bookmarks on tools later on.

None of those are what I am looking for. For instant, the dropbox is okay but the sharing method is set for registered or known group list. The client will not be keeping a known member list because contractors come and go which is why I was explaining the method in my original post.

Also, I am not looking for an online solution with a third-party. I just need a simple stand-alone software that is web-based which can be hosted on the client's own server using their own domain.

Maybe I am not using the right search term? It's kind of the same concept as where a photography company produces photos and put them online. They will then send an email to the customer with a passcode to login and view only their pictures. No one else can access it but them. In addition, they do not have to register because they have to the passcode to view the photos.

In my case, it's not photos but instead pdf file download.

I just need a simple stand-alone software that is web-based which can be hosted on the client's own server using their own domain

In any case there should be scripts with login system and download possibilities.

there are plugins for any CMS ( for WP there is plenty for sure) with similar features.

An overly simplified way would maybe be to just password protect each PDF file (each unique). I don't know if that's any good to you though. But if it is, I have the free link to do so.

It's not actually the file they are trying to protect but instead they are trying to limit who has download access to a project annonymously.

Right now I am looking into user CMS Made Simple but it may be a bit more than they can handle. SIMPLICITY is what I need. UGH!