Copying a Wordpress Template

Andrea

I'm in the final stages of building my first Wordpress-based website for a client, and now that I thought I was done, they want to see different colors. Very frustrating that when I send them the first draft and asked for feedback and specific things they might not like or want to see differently before I continue, everything seemed to be great. But now, it seems we're changing one thing after another.

That, however, was just my vent, not my question.

So I have created a new, customized Wordpress theme for that site and now that the client would like to see different color schemes, I thought I'd just copy the entire theme folder, rename it, and make my changes to the style sheet, so the clients could play with the themes and see what they might like. HOWEVER - when I do that, I lose the dynamic side bar and I do not understand why/how that would happen.

Any ideas?

Yes - I'm using widgets.

Widgets may be unique to each theme -- as in, when you change themes, you'll lose your widget settings and you may need to visit the Widgets page and make sure those are set up correctly. Have you checked that?

You've also changed the template name within the new template's style.css folder, right?

Just throwing out ideas here.