Text doesnt change on webpage after upload.

mrathell

Here is my issue. I change the html extension to a .txt and make all of the appropriate changes to the text, minor things like grammer.

Next I save it, change the extension back to html and upload it but the text on the website never reflected my changes.

I checked back to make sure I saved the changes before changing the extension back to html, and I definitly did.

I even copied on of the preexisting pages, made alterations and saved it as a 'contact.html' and that one upload and reflected the way I intended it to.

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong? :(

It seems as when I upload the corrected html files, they are not overwriting the original ones.

Maybe I need to delete the old files and reload the new files.

You do not need to delete the old file if the name of it was the same as the new one you are uploading. The new one will overwrite the older file. Make sure that when you resave as .html and .txt is not being added as well. Sometimes the extra .txt extension is hidden.

When you write your .html page, you do not have to change it back to .txt to edit the page. Just right click the .html file and open with TextEdit, NotePad or whatever it is you use.

Thank you for replying to my problem.

It definitly doesn't have the hidden .txt extenstion on them.

The weird thing is that if i make a completely new addition within any of the files (i.e. pictures, forms) it will reflect it. But if I try to remove those pictures, forms or change the text, it doesnt reflect that, even if I completely delete the files I uploaded and then load the new files from scratch.

Thank you for replying to my problem.

It definitly doesn't have the hidden .txt extenstion on them.

The weird thing is that if i make a completely new addition within any of the files (i.e. pictures, forms) it will reflect it. But if I try to remove those pictures, forms or change the text, it doesnt reflect that, even if I completely delete the files I uploaded and then load the new files from scratch.

You might have the all to common ghost of internet cache present. To save bandwitch the content of the sites are cached or buffered in some systems. That is all dynamic info is stored as a static page to decrease the server load of some function that take up a lot of resources. And this page is reindexed/recached every hour/hours.

So begin with eliminating that, clean out your cached pages etc, check whether your site uses buffering and turn that off while you are updating.

Sometimes, due to the buffering/history thing, you can use the reload/refresh button on the browser to update the view to see the changes. If that doesn't work, then clear history and troubleshoot from there. Maybe you typed .hmtl after editing, and it didn't over-write ... a good reason not to keep switching file extensions when there is no need. Mistakes happen.