NVU

Bigpapi

I just started using NVU, which is a free web design software. So far I like it. It's simple to use, and of course, the free part is great.

Anyone else have any experience with this? What does it NOT do, in comparison to a program like Dreamweaver?

I just started using NVU, which is a free web design software. So far I like it. It's simple to use, and of course, the free part is great.

Anyone else have any experience with this? What does it NOT do, in comparison to a program like Dreamweaver?

Try dreamweaver and make up your own desicion, anyway the first part of your text sounds like spam, promoting are we?

I just started using NVU' date=' which is a free web design software. So far I like it. It's simple to use, and of course, the free part is great.

Anyone else have any experience with this? What does it NOT do, in comparison to a program like Dreamweaver?[/quote']

Try dreamweaver and make up your own desicion, anyway the first part of your text sounds like spam, promoting are we?

I didn't think that sounded like spam at all. I have NVU loaded on my computer but haven't had the time to learn it. I had dreamweaver in the past, but when XP (i know that was awhile ago) came out my copy of dreamweaver did not upgrade. I wasn't doing web design during this period, so I didn't have to make a decision. Now that I'm building websites again, there are so many other options for doing web design. I currently do alot of sites on wordpress, but sometimes I need to build something from scratch. I talked to tech support and there are no upgrades for my version. 600.00 is alot of money to spend for some of us, and I took it as the other person does not have a copy yet. What I liked about dreamweaver was I could load all my templates in there, and use them in the future making my production go alot faster. I haven't found anything that gave me that feature, and I've been wondering if I need to invest in dreamweaver again if I'm going to be working full time as a web designer. Dreamweaver has a huge learning curve, and as the newer versions came out, it got harder and harder to learn, with hardly any tech support without payment. So, I also, would like to know if anyone has compared the two, and if they prefer one or the other. Thanks

Just to get back to you also, because I'm new to the forum, there is a section on the forum directed toward dreamweaver and we can look at what they have to say. Someone said, which I think is a good point. If you want to work for a company, or get a job working for someone else, they most likely want you to know dreamweaver. I do see frequently in job postings, dreameaver experience needed. As far as freelancing, learning code is what's most important. Editors, do not make the webmaster.

If you are on PC - do get Notepad++. Together with XAMPP, Directory Opus, Firefox with developer bar and Firebug will give you much better oppotunities to develop sites, especially when CMS is involved.

Firebug

sorry to hijack but what is Firebug. specifically what does Firebug do that the developer bar doesn't. I don't usually bother but i can edit css and html live with the dev bar. I'm just curious as to why I would need Firebug in addition.

I looked at using NVu a while back when getting started on CSS. Being a long-time Composer user it looked like the right fit. But I found out that the project has been discontinued, due to Netscape being discontinued. No new support, no new development to follow for NVU. Check on Wikipedia.

I am using KompoZer which is also free, and is a HTML/CSS editor with a solid relationship with Mozilla/Gecko.

I have very limited DreamWeaver experience (used it once). I looked at a template and was surprised to see

For what I do, which is my own site and some occasional favours for friends, the free aspect of KompoZer is more important than extra features and high productivity. There are some things you have to hand-code in NotePad, because KompoZer doesn't have a menu choice. It is also annoying that the CaScadeS CSS editor likes to purge all comments from the CSS file, so if you want to markup your work it erases. Great for tight, compact file size but lousy if you like to leave notes.

So KompoZer isn't perfect either. You get what you pay for. It does one nice thing ... it creates pages that validate great if you don't go skylarking about adding your own stuff in the view.

hth

bah. looks like i'm gonna have to upgrade from 3.0.10 of firefox. this is going to be a pain in the neck.

between TagSifter, Adblock, and now Firebug I don't know how people use nonFirefox browsers. I mean I like Chrome it's shiny and fast but a flash block isn't enough.

Edited by wolfkin

I didn't think that sounded like spam at all. I have NVU loaded on my computer but haven't had the time to learn it. I had dreamweaver in the past, but when XP (i know that was awhile ago) came out my copy of dreamweaver did not upgrade. I wasn't doing web design during this period, so I didn't have to make a decision. Now that I'm building websites again, there are so many other options for doing web design. I currently do alot of sites on wordpress, but sometimes I need to build something from scratch. I talked to tech support and there are no upgrades for my version. 600.00 is alot of money to spend for some of us, and I took it as the other person does not have a copy yet. What I liked about dreamweaver was I could load all my templates in there, and use them in the future making my production go alot faster. I haven't found anything that gave me that feature, and I've been wondering if I need to invest in dreamweaver again if I'm going to be working full time as a web designer. Dreamweaver has a huge learning curve, and as the newer versions came out, it got harder and harder to learn, with hardly any tech support without payment. So, I also, would like to know if anyone has compared the two, and if they prefer one or the other. Thanks

It was certainly not spam. Just trying to provide as much information as possible. Thank you. margaux25, for seeing that and replying with a useful post.

I would love to buy dreamweaver, but it doesn't make much, if any, sense to drop that kind of money just to compare.

As far as NVU goes, so far it's been fun playing with it. I am learning a lot and it is real simple to use. I'm sure it lacks some features as other programs, but free is free right? There are some sites out there that offer tutorials for it, and those have been helpful also.