Killersites Styles ...

Hi,

You probably noticed that we've been reskinning some of our websites ... anyway, my question to you guys is what style do you prefer, the minimal:

- www.csstutorial.net ... and we even get more minimal on the sub pages:

- www.csstutorial.net/introductionCSS.php

OR the more image heavy:

- www.killersites.com/

Let me know.

Stefan

I don't miss images when they are not there, but they do break things up which is always good. I'd vote for the minimal as a good compromise between 'nothing' and 'something' that works for me personally.

One quick semi-related thought...

One of the things my design professors have been stressing recently is the importance of asking "is the design appropriate for the content?"

For example, an information heavy site where the purpose is learning, perhaps it makes sense to have a simpler design that doesn't distract from the content. On a store/product driven site, maybe the design should be a bit more detailed to help encourage visitors to purchase (and if the site looks professional/higher quality, it will reinforce the idea that the products they are selling are of higher quality as well.)

For example, an information heavy site where the purpose is learning, perhaps it makes sense to have a simpler design that doesn't distract from the content. On a store/product driven site, maybe the design should be a bit more detailed to help encourage visitors to purchase (and if the site looks professional/higher quality, it will reinforce the idea that the products they are selling are of higher quality as well.)

I agree. The thing is, it's easier said than done!

:o

... Especially with a site like killersites.com, where the audience is varied.

Reminds me of when I was in a match (full contact fighting) and I was up against a really mobile guy ... and my coach would be yelling from the sidelines "... Just knock him out! Use your left hook!" ... And in my mind I was thinking ".. I'm trying! I'm trying! He just doesn't want to sit still ...!"

Stefan

For me if it's a tutorial site, the only images that I want to see are those relevant to the tutorial screen capture and/or demos. Anything else is just eye candy and distracting.

However when I was younger and studying for exams I would always have music or TV going on in the background as it forced my mind to focus on what I was studying, silence made my mind wander off topic. Sounds paradoxical, but it worked for me!

• 2 weeks later...