adding/editing php.ini on GoDaddy

blowfly123

I know this is sort of a weird topic to post here but GoDaddy is being useless and I just can't figure it out. I want to raise the max upload size on a site by adding upload_max_filesize = 64M to php.ini. However I can't locate the php.ini file. GoDaddy told me to just upload one to the root directory but I'm only able to access the HTML directory on the server... Should I be adding the file one directory up? Either way, I tried sticking it in the "root" directory as well as in 'etc' and 'cgi-bin' subdirectories but none of that seems to be doing anything. Anyone have any ideas? On other hosts I've just been able to find the file and edit it but this is really frustration.

(btw the hosting panel says the account is running php4.x)

I know this is sort of a weird topic to post here but GoDaddy is being useless and I just can't figure it out. I want to raise the max upload size on a site by adding upload_max_filesize = 64M to php.ini. However I can't locate the php.ini file. GoDaddy told me to just upload one to the root directory but I'm only able to access the HTML directory on the server... Should I be adding the file one directory up? Either way, I tried sticking it in the "root" directory as well as in 'etc' and 'cgi-bin' subdirectories but none of that seems to be doing anything. Anyone have any ideas? On other hosts I've just been able to find the file and edit it but this is really frustration.

(btw the hosting panel says the account is running php4.x)

ehm, check the top level directory of the user account or in /cgi-bin/ if they are running php as CGI, as I remember using that one a while back when we did something using godaddy's hosting. But I also remember there only being a php.ini for php4 and to change settings for php5 I had to manually upload a php5.ini to the same directory.

Another thing with go daddy:

* Windows IIS6 accounts do not support PHP.

* Windows IIS7 accounts always run PHP 5.

* Linux accounts support both PHP 4 and PHP 5.

Also when they told you to add the php5.ini to the root folder although you don't have priveleges to edit anything in there, I still remember being able to add stuff to the folder so just put the file there and create a .htaccess file where you point to the php5.ini file with a line like:

SetEnv PHPRC /path/to/root/folder

and if you need to get your hands on a php.ini file check out php.net they got a few:

http://cvs.php.net/viewvc.cgi/php-src/php.ini-recommended

Edited by krillz

Thanks. Yeah the hosting is Linux. Do you have any idea where to find the top level? The .htaccess file is in the html directory that I'm able to see so I feel like php.ini should function in there but it's just not doing anything. Is there anything I can put in the php.ini that would defintiely have a noticeable impact on the site that I could test for?

Thanks. Yeah the hosting is Linux. Do you have any idea where to find the top level? The .htaccess file is in the html directory that I'm able to see so I feel like php.ini should function in there but it's just not doing anything. Is there anything I can put in the php.ini that would defintiely have a noticeable impact on the site that I could test for?

Just upload one of your php5.ini files and put it in the root directory, if that works create a envirentment path to it as shown in the last example.

Anyway talked to my friend that is using godaddy for a couple of years and here are the key phrases he told me:

1: Changes to the php.ini file won't show up until after 1200 MST, when they rehash or restart the server.

2. If you are running PHP 4, name your initialization file php.ini. If you are running PHP 5, name your initialization file php5.ini. Always upload the initialization file to the root directory of your site.

3. Depending on what linux distro you got along with admin panel; try checking in the directory /etc/ as most of the times the files path is /etc/php.ini

4. I also found out my friend has acess to a shell, so you can use linux commands to find the place where php.ini are located just type this into the shell/terminal: php -i | grep php.ini

this will show you the location of the php.ini file used for php4. And just dump your php5.ini into the location.

Edited by krillz