New design approach

AlexGrim

Ok, i come up with a new design approach for this new subdomain that i hope is more contemporary. I don't really like it, but others seem to favor it over the original design. I miss the original design... What do you guys think?

http://lawfirm.ionisis.com/

I am, notoriously, NOT a designer. Period. So i cannot understand what the competition is doing right, that i am doing wrong. I spent a day examining their sites, and i noticed that they had some common traits:

*) Almost NO text on the page! A paragraph, maybe two, 4 short paragraphs at the most.

*) A LOT of images! I hate images, and feel that they clutter up the real content....

*) "ORDER NOW!", All over the page. That seems like you are harassing the visitor, to me.....

As you can tell, i'm obviously not much for marketing either. So i am trying a new combination of page elements:

*) A SINGLE image (not a whole bunch of them), that attempts to quickly convey what the site is for, and what to do next

*) A reasonable amount of text, to explain the same

*) Some sample images (probably not the best idea, the way i'm doing it, though...)

So, i'm gathering feedback on this approach, and i'm running it for a couple of weeks to see where it gets me...

I just KNOW that there is a magic combination of on page elements that will catch and keep the user's interest and confidence. I just wish i could figure out what the heck that combination is! Until then, it's trial and error.

Thanx!

Edited by AlexGrim

In brief, I don't like the shadow/blur for the logo and the home icon button. It's a strain to my eyes. I think making those clean and crisp will stand out better. You can still give the logo some depth if you want to but without the black color bleeding over to the white background.

You might also try to tone down the orange just a tad (something like #EF682C) and then change the top parent nav links to be white instead of black.

In brief, I don't like the shadow/blur for the logo and the home icon button. It's a strain to my eyes. I think making those clean and crisp will stand out better. You can still give the logo some depth if you want to but without the black color bleeding over to the white background.

You might also try to tone down the orange just a tad (something like #EF682C) and then change the top parent nav links to be white instead of black.

I got that same advice about the logo and title. I'm guessing that my average visitor will also not like it, so i will be changing it.

Thanx!

• 3 weeks later...

I agree - the gray, orange and black presented do not cut it for a law firms website. Some blues, whites, browns and / or black will suit more nicely for a professional lawyers office. I would also tinker with the navigation and you may want to consider changing the color of the drop down link to the same color or lighter shade of the main link (or like newseed stated - just change the navigation to white)