Access denied for user 'ODBC'@'localhost'

bnther

That usually indicates you have either the username or the password wrong when you are trying to connect to the database. That's the first place I'd look when trying to fix this error.

I imagine that "ODBC" is the username you are trying to use, but I don't know what code you are working with.

Keep in mind that -- assuming you are either working with MAMP (Mac only) or WAMP (Windows only) -- the default username/passwords change. This could be an issue if the tutorial shows how to do things using WAMP but you're using a Mac, for example.

The defaults for MAMP:

username: "root"

password: "root"

The defaults for WAMP:

password: "" (blank - no password)

That usually indicates you have either the username or the password wrong when you are trying to connect to the database. That's the first place I'd look when trying to fix this error.

I imagine that "ODBC" is the username you are trying to use, but I don't know what code you are working with.

Keep in mind that -- assuming you are either working with MAMP (Mac only) or WAMP (Windows only) -- the default username/passwords change. This could be an issue if the tutorial shows how to do things using WAMP but you're using a Mac, for example.

The defaults for MAMP:

password: "root"

The defaults for WAMP:

password: "" (blank - no password)

falkencreative,

Thanks for the reply.

I think that it connecting OK. If I comment out the MYSQL stuff, the page runs just fine.

I commented out one line at a time and it's the $result = mysql_query($query); that's throwing the error.

Here's the code:

<?php

// connect to a database

$my_connection = mysql_connect('localhost', 'root', '');

if(!$my_connection){

die("Could not connect: " . mysql_error());

}

echo "Connected Successfully to mySQL server" . "

";

$my_database = mysql_select_db('killer');

if(!$my_database){

die("Could not find database: " . mysql_error());

}

mysql_close($my_connection);

// set up for accessing the database 'select'

//$query = "SELECT * FROM people";

//$result = mysql_query($query);

//$my_rows;

//

//while($row = mysql_fetch_array($result, MYSQL_ASSOC)){

// $my_rows = $my_rows . "Name : {$row['name']}
" . "id : {$row['id']}

";

//}

?>

Are you closing the connection too early? Just a quick guess, and I'm assuming that the code you provide above is exactly the code you are using...

I would think you need to do the "my_sql_close" line after you finish using the database. That needs to appear after your code block (which is currently commented out) where you get information from the db.

Are you closing the connection too early? Just a quick guess, and I'm assuming that the code you provide above is exactly the code you are using...

I would think you need to do the "my_sql_close" line after you finish using the database. That needs to appear after your code block (which is currently commented out) where you get information from the db.

Yep, that was it.

Ooops :P

You think that I would have caught that one.

There is where an extra set of eyes helped.

Many thanks for that.