Editing flash file problems

dgow13

I am building a new website for a client. The client wanted me to change some info on the old site while we are working on the new one. The entire site is built in flash and I am not very good with flash. I was told to find the .swf or .swa files where I can change the owner info but, I cannot locate them. Any suggestions?

In order to edit the flash files, you need the original source (.fla), not the .flv or .swf. Without the source file, I don't think there is much you can do.

I can't find any of the source files at all... .fla. The original builder said that if I was any kind of a web designer I would know where to find the files at but, he was not going to help me find them. Not much I can do about it. I have searched ever file and sub-file with no luck.

Realistically, the .fla source files aren't usually uploaded to the server. If you only have FTP access and the .fla files aren't uploaded, there isn't much you can do -- you'll simply have to tell the client you don't have the source files so you can't make any changes. That's just one of the downsides of Flash.

It doesn't sound like the original builder is being very helpful though. It sounds like he may know where they are, just aren't telling you. Either that, or he doesn't know where they are either but wants to appear more knowledgeable than he actually is.