Need advices...please help

ML

Hi,

I'm new on this site.

I have some IT background (mostly programming) and I really-really want to get into Web Design.

Where do I begin?

I also have a couple of questions I need to clarify?

1. First and foremost, I need to get a new computer. What should I get:

a) MAC or PC, why?

B) Laptop or desktop

2. What, would you recommend, I should start learning first, what's next (in terms of software)?

Thank you so much for help. I really appreciate it.

1) It really doesn't matter. One advantage of web design is that it really doesn't require any specific high powered computer. It's a matter of personal preference. I like Macs (with Windows running under VMWare Fusion for browser testing), some like PCs. I probably would suggest a laptop rather than a desktop since it's more portable, but again, that's personal preference.

2) I'd start learning the basics of HTML and CSS in a plain text editor such as Notepad or Notepad++. Once you have the basics of that down, then maybe look into Javascript/jquery and simple PHP. I would stay away from learning Dreamweaver immediately. Learn the code by hand first, since otherwise you'll be tempted to have Dreamweaver or another WYSIWYG editor do all the coding for you.

Speaking from some little experience, learning graphic design would be a good first step if you are planning to generate an income. I only build my own business site, and can get away with using Comic Sans MS font and lots of pink background colours if I want. But it is terrible design, which even the best coding won't fix.

I use a PC. Actually about 5 of various vintages for browser testing, everything from IE5/NS4.7 up to IE8/FX3.5. Mostly desktop because I have to work at a desk to get any work done. That's a personal choice/failure. Nice thing about building websites is you don't need a lot of horsepower. My latest computer is an off-lease P4 3.2MHz 1Gb RAM which is plenty enough to run the programs I use. Like I said, I am not a graphics designer. So a slightly older and much cheaper computer is fine for me. And used PCs are more plentiful than used Macs where I live.

I like using KompoZer as a free WYSIWYG XHTML/CSS editor to get up and running, simple enough that it is almost hand-coding (and will be once you get your feet wet, free stuff has its limits). Its a nice confidence builder to see instant results without crashing because you forgot to close a < with a > that turns your page and file into instant potatoes that will send you screaming for butter to spread on your burned fingers. Best thing about KompoZer is the Help file doesn't help much. You have to go learn on your own, the program is just a tool for turning keystrokes into web design. Good web design if you are a good graphics designer, not-so-good for mere mortals like myself.

Speaking from some little experience, learning graphic design would be a good first step if you are planning to generate an income.

Agreed. I've found there is a niche for someone who can do both attractive design and clean/well written code. Lots of people know HTML and CSS, but less know how to do eye-catching design.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi - (first time posting here).

I have designed a few websites, and the biggest value was to take a class on the use of Adobe Photoshop. I would recommend a desktop rather than laptop, only because you will probably start using several graphic design programs which might bog down a laptop.

Also have a nice laptop to take your finished designs to present to clients.

Hi - (first time posting here).

I have designed a few websites, and the biggest value was to take a class on the use of Adobe Photoshop. I would recommend a desktop rather than laptop, only because you will probably start using several graphic design programs which might bog down a laptop.

Also have a nice laptop to take your finished designs to present to clients.

You might find when shopping around that the days where you had to sacrifice disc space, speed, or anything actually, when choosing a laptop over a PC are LONG gone. Nowadays, laptops can do anything a PC can do. (And why would you need several graphic design programs if you already have Photoshop? That pretty much does everything you could possibly need.)

And while knowing your way around a graphics program (and it does not need to be Photoshop) is clearly very helpful for a webdesigner. What a webdesigner needs to know foremost is HTML and CSS. Everything else, like graphics programs, knowledge of PHP, JavaScript, etc., certainly makes for a better webdesigner, but without HTML and CSS, there is no foundation. That's like trying to bake a cake with a really fancy oven, but you don't even own a cake pan.

No one can answer what you need, choose the stuff you feel comfortable working with, and it will work.

Just because I use something doesn't mean that you will be operating at optimal speed and creativity on the same setup. I pretty sure you've been in contact with computers, laptops, operating systems, applications before, and from your experience you have developed a taste of what you like more and what you like less.

You have the answers, and for the ones you don't, get hold of demos and trial versions so you can build your own opinion, and then choose what you liked using the most.

Learning html and css, as mentioned, will be the basics you will use for building the framework of your websites.

To make them look nice you will want to work with Photoshop and Illustrator, and maybe Flash.

I like to use my desktop with a LARGE monitor for graphics. You might find (as I do) that a small screen is inconvenient when you have your workspace menus open and your design open on the screen. 24" screen or larger is nice to have.